Black start up screen ?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by psymas, Apr 18, 2011.

1. psymas macrumors newbie

psymas

After a month with repetitive start up problems (with snow leopard), I reinstalled the whole system from scratch without transfering any settings from the old system. Unfortunately, the problem has not gone away :(

Problem:

I start up my mac pro and I can hear the hard drive working loading the OS even though I can't see a thing on my screen. Keyboard and mouse activity does not solve the problem. I found out, that if I push the on-button one time the system goes in standbye and if I push the on-button to wake up the system I get an image on my 30" cinema display. It's only when I start up the system that I have this odd problem.

I hope for some comments or likewise experiences since I have simply no idea about where to seach for a solution in terms of settings in the OS.

In advance thx. THOMAS

2. psymas thread starter macrumors newbie

psymas

Further info.

I can say, that prior to this problem I have got all sorts of graphic errors going on. Many times I get graphic errors on-screen. Mostly it is horizontal lines. Sometimes they disappear if I move a window over the area, but most times they won't disappear. I also experienced that the monitor or graphics card is out of sync. It results in a partly distorted picture, especially it is hard to read text in this "error state". I brought some pictures of this screen state to the local apple repair facility. They said it was a "loose connection" inside the monitor. Unfortunatel, the screen is out of warranty and as they do not repair cinema displays but replace them, then I'm ****ed. Really stupid and a waste of resources not to offer repair of such an expensive monitor!

3. mikeyg36 macrumors member

Finding the issue

From what you're describing it sounds like it could be multiple types of issues. It could be a GPU issue, which would be the easiest replacement. For the display you can check it by plugging in a new monitor and starting it up. If you don't have another display, try plugging it into a TV, assuming you have a cable. If it works normally on the new display, then sorry your display is ****ed :(
    Best of luck!

4. psymas thread starter macrumors newbie

psymas

2nd monitor check

I just checked up with my 2nd monitor (quite new and reliable Eizo screen) and the errors still remain.

Moreover, I forgot to tell that I've have had a lot of black screen or just hangup situations. Typically, In the middle of something important like picture editing my mac hangs?

Now that I have figured out that the errors remains, am I then sure that it is a GPU failure?

I'm worried about if the erros could be caused from a defektive mainboard or another component? It would be a waste of money to by a new Graphics card if the error is caused by the mainboard. But well I'm ready to order the graphics card if I can single out the error to that component.

By the way, THX for your reply!!!

5. mikeyg36 macrumors member

Hardware checks

Ok so now we have ruled out one issue. The next step you should take is to run the Apple Hardware Test. Instructions can be found here. I am not sure if this checks the GPU but it will check most other components. If everything comes back normal then it is most likely the GPU. Faulty GPUs will have random artifacts on the screen like this. These artifacts can be any shape, color, or size so the picture may not match your screen specifically. If it has artifacts, it is the GPU. If it does not, I would bring it into an Apple store and tell them the steps you took. Let them diagnose your computer. If you can't get to an Apple store then I would buy a 5770 from Apple.com and see if it fixes it. If it doesn't then return it (it should have a return policy) and send it into Apple. It will cost money if it's not under warranty, but the fix shouldn't be too expensive. Keep me posted and best of luck! :)