Black Tax Again?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by scottganderson, Mar 9, 2015.

1. scottganderson macrumors newbie

Wondering if I'm understanding the situation correctly. I can get a silver stainless steel Apple Watch with a black sport band, but no such option exists for the space black stainless? The Apple Store online is showing only 20 combinations available for the Apple Watch. Obviously, nothing would be preventing this combination from existing except for artificial restrictions imposed by Apple. So if you want the space black stainless, you have to pay $1100 AND purchase the black sport band separately? Or am I not understanding? Anyone have any insight?

2. macslayer118 macrumors 6502

That's how I see it too. On top of that you get 2 sports bands which is literally helpful for nobody. Nobody has 2 different sized wrists

3. puma1552 macrumors 601

That's what it seems like. I thought you'd be able to get a black stainless with a black classic leather band, but it doesn't look like its in the cards, which is kind of bogus.

4. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

Kind of stinks, the black is what I want too. I'd like the black stainless band anyway, though an extra sport band would have been nice if it came with one and let me buy the band separate/later.

5. Titleist macrumors regular

Titleist

I'm in the same boat. I really want the space black stainless. Don't really care too much for the links band. I might also add that the links band alone is ($449). So the only way to get a "black" stainless is to order it with the link band that I don't really care for? Really?

6. JFazYankees macrumors 6502

JFazYankees

It's (presumably) because of the Diamond-Like Carbon coating they used to achieve the black look. It doesn't come cheap, but I definitely don't agree with the decision to only sell the space black version with the link bracelet.

7. Titleist macrumors regular

Titleist

I'm cool with paying extra for the black stainless, over the original stainless. Think it's stupid that we're forced to pick up a $449 link bracelet that we don't really want. I want a la carte.

8. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

That's a pretty common issue in the world of watches. I rarely wear metal bracelets, and I prefer leather, but sometimes the metal bracelet is the only option. This can happen at all levels of watches.

9. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

And the silver aluminum Sport doesn't have a black band option. Dumb.

10. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I'll split the cost with someone and take the smaller/larger option ha.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It makes absolutely no sense why anyone would think or expect that to happen. They don't even make a black classic leather band with Space Black SS accents. The standard SS accents would look totally off anyway.

There's not really a suitable black sport band within the stainless steel collection for the Space Black model. You'd have to get the sport band with the Space Gray SS pin from the Sport collection. That's why they're not making it available as an out of the box option. The "black tax" is simply a side effect of that.

12. puma1552 macrumors 601

Yes, it's absurd that someone might want a black stainless watch to come with a black leather band, just because the lousy buckle on the opposite side of the wrist is plain stainless.:rolleyes:

13. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I was not talking about wanting one but expecting Apple to make it available, as there was no indication that'd happen.

14. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

That's simple instead of doing what say FitBit does and selling two of the same one small and one large here Apple just has to package the product once and you don't have to worry about will it fit or not.

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Having owned many SS, ceramic and coated watches.

Stay clear of the Black one, it will pick up scratches. And it will scratch.

SS silver is your friend, you can buff out the scratches.

16. extricated macrumors 6502

extricated

No doubt. The one combo I was mainly considering isn't an option. I'd like to get the leather band as an extra, but I personally don't like the space gray with the leather.

17. slvrscoobie macrumors 6502a

slvrscoobie

18. LincolnsiPod macrumors 6502

I've been thinking about this too, my concern though is how durable it's really going to be. I'm not that active and I still manage to constantly scratch my mineral crystal watch over time, accidentally banging it against doors, metals, etc. If Ion-X is more durable than mineral crystal though I might opt for this then. May have to do some more research here.