Black Viewer in Shake... ?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by r.knighter, Dec 8, 2010.

1. r.knighter macrumors newbie

Howdy fellas',

I'm having an issue with Shake (4.1).

Here's the story...

Edited a DVCPROHD 720p24 sequence in FCP 6.0.6... Recompressed the sequence to ProRes HQ (4.4.4) 720 at 23.98... Saved a .xml... Imported and color corrected the .xml in Color... Exported the .xml (same format) and opened it in FCP 7.0... Sent to Shake and now I have a black viewer, but I can see all the clips in the node tree and I can see that the file names in the viewer change as I select different clips in the node tree.

How come the viewer is black and how do I fix this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated (first time using Shake).

Thanks.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Do you have other footage that shows up fine in Shake?

Couple of things just as an aside. XML is not a video codec or format. It's basically an open format text file that, in this case, is used to shuttle project information between apps. Also, compressing the DVCPro HD footage before you sent it to Color was an unnecessary step and choosing ProRes 4444 was a ridiculous amount of overkill. If the future just send the DVCPro HD footage to Color and you can choose the codec Color will render out to. Regular ProRes is more than adequate and, honestly, it would probably be difficult to tell the difference between that and just keeping it as DVCPro HD.

-Andrew

3. r.knighter thread starter macrumors newbie

I will certainly consider simplifying my workflow.

The only thing I have successfully opened in Shake is one DPX frame, and the viewer is not black?

I am very new to Shake and please feel free to talk to me like a baby : ).

Thanks.

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I haven't used Shake before but I'm wondering if ProRes 4444 is too new a codec for it. What happens if you try to open one of your DVCPro HD files in it? Have you consulted the manual about proper workflow procedures? Maybe there is something basic that you are missing resulting in the black viewer.

Lethal

5. r.knighter thread starter macrumors newbie

The codec is actually ProRes 422 (HQ) with 4.4.4. chroma enabled, not ProRes 4444.

Would that codec be two new? It's one of the original ProRes options.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I can't say for certain but it was announced in early 2006 that development for Shake had stopped and ProRes wasn't released until 2007. Have you tried using the DVCPro HD footage in Shake and consulting the manual on how to properly setup a project?

Lethal

7. r.knighter thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually ended up doing what I wanted to do in Shake in Final Cut. So that settles that (I was really only after one thing from Shake).

However, now I'm trying to open a DPXs in Shake.

I exported a 4K DPX file (370ish frames) from RedAlert and would like to open them in Shake. When I click on one of the DPX files and "open > Shake", it only opens that one frame.

How do I set up a project in Shake so that I can view all the DPX frames as a sequence?

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I have no first hand experience w/Shake so I can't help you there.

What does the manual say about importing a DPX sequence?

You might try asking over at the official Apple forums or at Creative COW.

Lethal