Black>White iphone 4 convert help!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by T0Mlol, Jun 20, 2011.

1. T0Mlol macrumors member

There is a guy like 40 mins from me who converts iphones to white. He charges $125 for everything. Now, are there different "qualitys" of the kit i should know or are they all the same? He claims like oem and stuff but im scared of a few things. I REALLY want my phone white but dont want my screen to short out a week later since i do need a whole new screen and all, correct?

I read camera pics sometimes arent as clear, prox sensor issues are a common issue with conversions. Should I be worried or do the swaps turn out like oem?

2. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It's probably not OEM, but "meets OEM specifications" or some crap like that. In any case, he's probably just using the $10 eBay kit and making a huge profit.

3. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

I highly highly doubt he's using that "$10 Kit". The iPhone 4 LCD/digitizer is impossible to separate without causing damage to the LCD. When the iPhone 4 is converted, you'll be getting an entirely new front assembly.

The kits we use are OEM frames/LCD's and the glass is a copy of course with a different color. If you take a look in my sig, you can see my personal green iPhone 4.

If the guy you are going to is good, I wouldn't be worried at all. With time and a couple extra precautions you wouldn't be able to tell the different between a real white iPhone direct from Apple. Even most of the "copy" white kits are coming with the new style sensor in the glass.

4. T0Mlol thread starter macrumors member

5. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

I'd ask to see some photos of the sides, top and bottom of the phone. A lot of conversion kits use aftermarket or really low quality frames. If it's not installed properly there will be gaps between the frame(glass) and the midframe. I'd also ask if he's carrying the white kits with the new prox sensor style.

6. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Differently not OEM. My light sensor isn't anything like that one. It is just a black bar and not the dotted hole style.

7. T0Mlol thread starter macrumors member

yeahhh I know all the conversions everywhere seem like it has the dots. I don't understand why they can't have the black bar like the OEM one? I guess he means OEM quality.

8. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Like I said, I would ask him if he has the new style. Not many places are carrying the old style like you pictured. Even some of the other color options are coming out with the new style sensor.

9. T0Mlol thread starter macrumors member

Can you link me to a place that is carrying the new style with the new sensor? I can't find it anywhere!? ALL of the places are claiming this is all they have and it all has the dots.

10. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Sorry for offtopic and a completely unhelpful reply. But I must add that this thread reminded me of Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson... :rolleyes:

/Resume thread

11. T0Mlol thread starter macrumors member

12. T0Mlol thread starter macrumors member

Don't stop now! I made a plan to meet with him tomorrow and if we can find this black sensor one instead, I'd rather get this. HELP ME OUT!

13. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

14. T0Mlol thread starter macrumors member

That looks great but I wonder if it's a legit site? I tried looking online and didn't see any complaints so that's good I guess. When these websites claim OEM, how can they? Apple doesn't just make the parts and ship them out to other companies so really...how can it be OEM?

The site has two different whites. One was OEM and one was not? For the, $30 I think extra?, I would rather just get the OEM but now it makes me wonder. The kid that was going to do my phone is charging $125 for EVERYTHING and install. JUST the pieces would cost me $170 plus shipping then I gotta pay to have someone install it. These pieces would probably be better though since it has that black bar for the sensor and all huh?

15. T0Mlol thread starter macrumors member

16. Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

$125 for the parts and labor doesn't sound like a bad price.... I would ask to see the parts he is going to use before he does it. That's the good thing about doing it locally rather than buying something online.

17. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

18. Justinb51 macrumors 6502

Justinb51

heres a pic.

Attached Files:

19. ylerT macrumors regular

ylerT

Out of curiosity...is the "kid" you're taking your phone to a repair shop or just someone working out of their house? If he's a legit repair shop, he should have access to these parts without a problem. In all honesty, I would look around a bit and see if there's an actual shop with some reputation who can convert your phone. Saving a little cash won't be worth it in the long wrong if you get a crappy conversion.

20. mikayy macrumors newbie

im from the UK and paid £145 pounds just for part, the parts looked good. but once on the phone the volume buttons didnt feel like it was right, the part they use for the headsocket says apple but appears to be not as good, also the home button didnt click correctly and i had the case with the black bar proximity sensor which didnt work! also the camera wasnt as clear! it seems as if they dont use glass for the part that covers the camera and its plastic which just seems to get get misty if you try and wipe it clean

my advise would be to sell your iphone on ebay and then purchase the white iphone in the apple store - you may pay a little bit more but at least it will all WORK!!!