Black & White leaving only 1 color

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by swwack91, Sep 16, 2007.

1. swwack91 macrumors 6502a

I found a tutorial of how to do this in FCP 4... but I have the latest version of Final Cut Express HD and the way they suggested doesn't seem to be in the program.

any suggestions for only leaving 1 color in a black and white video?

2. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

the color corrector in final cut express doesn't have the limit effect option.

any other ideas?

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

4. -DH macrumors 65816

Sorry .. my mistake. I misread your original post and thought you were asking how in FCP.

The only other way I know to do it is to duplicate the clip on a higher track, then painstakingly mask the area you want to remain in color on the upper track - desaturate the clip on the lower track. If the area to remain in color moves inside the image area over the duration of the clip, you'll need to keyframe the mask to match the movement.

-DH

5. huntercr macrumors 65816

Yes it does... It's just not graphical. Go to the numeric mode on the corrector. It's all there. The "limit on chroma checkbox" and the dials and sliders below it is what you want. Once you get used to it, it's not hard to do it this way at all. Be sure and select "matte" mode when you're limiting on chroma or luma so you can see the results more easily.

often when I am trying to narrow down a range when limiting on Chroma I will turn the saturation down all the way ( or up really high ) so that it makes it really obvious, but ironically this is the end result you are wanting anyway.

6. swwack91 thread starter macrumors 6502a

WOW!

thanks so much! you just completely saved the newest music video i'm working on!!!

(to check out my other ones click the link in my signature ;))