Black Wire Falls Out of Macbook??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RTiii320, Nov 16, 2008.

1. RTiii320 macrumors 6502a

RTiii320

Alright today I was listening to music, when I went to turn the volume up I noticed a black wire that looked like it had been laying on the speakers with half of the wire laying inside the speakers. I am worried because it seems like this wire came out of my Macbook. Now the wire is about 2 1/2 inches long and it is RED on the inside with black rubber casing around it. Granted I do have alot of cables for headphones, mics and stuff like that laying around so it could be something from that. I am not one to open my Macbook and look inside, so I am wondering if anyone has any ideas of what this might be. It's an original WHITE macbook. Thanks ..[​IMG]

2. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

If its still working, you didn't need it anyway.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (/send it back to appple :p)

5. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I could be totally wrong, but I don't think there are any long single straight wires like that anywhere in a macbook. Or at least none that could be removed without causing a very obvious effect on your laptop's operation.

EDIT: On further research, I take my comment back. There are some single straight black wires in there, such as these ones I see going to the fans. Is your laptop feeling very hot?

[​IMG]

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Core-2-Duo/Logic-Board/116/18/Page-7

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

You probably were pranked. Anyway, I'd recommend taking it to the Genius Bar if no one admits to it.

7. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Original white macbook... you've owned it a while... Most likely is has always been there... a loose wire just laying inside your case since your machine was manufactured. Those things do happen.

8. snberk103 macrumors 603

Quick Quick!! Put the "wire" into a jar and seal it! Before it has a chance to split into two!

Its not a "wire" at all, its the rare but deadly copper snake! It must have hitched a ride from its home in Asia inside your notebook. If well fed and warm it will split into two, and then those two halves will each split into two.... pretty soon you will have a binary infection. They originally were only found in the Gobi desert, where they ate sand. But now their preferred habitat are computer systems where they can eat refined sand (silicon).

Boy are you lucky got it now, when it was looking around.... if it had migrated into a bigger system you may have never found it - until it was too late!

In a serious infestation the young ones will come out at night and sharpen their teeth on the rims of drinking glasses, causing what looks like those mysterious chips on the rims that you get blamed for - unjustifiably.

:D :D :D :D

9. Laptop Guy macrumors newbie

So, was it just lying there? Or was it sticking out? If it was lying there, I think you've been pranked, but if it was sticking out of the case, I'd take it to a Genius Bar. :apple:

10. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Motulist got one side, here's the other. Could it be the little bronze wire coming out of the speaker?

[​IMG]
    (ignore the yellow boxes, the image is from iFixit)