Black, Wireless Mac Keyboard?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RojoLeo, Jan 4, 2008.

1. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

So I just moved into a new house and am in the process of configuring my new work area. With this, I'm justifying the purchase a few accessories to make my life a bit easier. Up until this point, I've always worked with my MacBook Pro on my lap or the coffee table 90% of the time, but now I'll finally be taking advantage of my 24" monitor and a nice, new desk.

As the MBP is silver, and my monitor is silver and black, I figured using the white wireless Apple keyboard wouldn't be as aesthetically pleasing as a nice black (or even silver) keyboard. But wait, there isn't one? No one makes one? Really?

I have searched high and low on all my typical sites, I googled it, I even Flickr'd it - nothing. The closest I found is Microsoft (of all people) makes a gray mouse and keyboard combo. The color isn't great, and the mouse would be a total waste because I'll be using a Logitech MX Revolution.

What to do? Am I missing one? Sure, I can use a keyboard designed for "PC or Mac" but I'd rather not. I'm sure some people will tell me to suck it up and deal with it, which I will if I must, but surely I'm just missing one. Someone tell me that I'm overlooking a black, wireless Mac-only keyboard.

Please?

Edit: As per post #15, problem solved - Logitech MX Duo

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

If you really feel up to it, spray paint a apple wireless keyboard black?

be a hell of a differcult job, but probably look the nicest :cool:

3. v-ault macrumors regular

Well, there are wireless keyboards with both the windows and mac command key. There's a decent one made by kensington. But if I were you, I'd get this keyboard: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard/devices/3616&cl=us,en

It says it works with the playstation 3 but it also works with PCs and Macs. It doesn't have the windows key on it, and best of all, it's bluetooth.

4. RojoLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

Good suggestion, but I should have mentioned in my original post that a requirement for me (and the reason I don't go with the new wireless keyboard from Apple) is the number pad. I actually use it a lot.

5. v-ault macrumors regular

Well, here's something you might like then. http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Sl...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199473907&sr=8-3

It has both the mac and windows command key. It has a number pad, but it does come with a mouse. It's on Amazon for 80 dollars right now.

6. RojoLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

Not bad. There's a few nuances about it, but that's me being picky. It is a bit pricier than I feel it should be, considering it's a pretty low-feature keyboard.

Here's the keyboard from Microsoft I was talking about. Not crazy about the color (wish it was black), and the keyboard will be going in the drawer immediately, but still a strong possible choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826105170

Anyone find anything else?

7. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

you could buy the aluminium mac wireless keyboard and then buy an add on number pad such as this from Targus

8. RojoLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

A little unsightly considering the keys are very, very different. But thanks for the suggestion.

Is no one else surprised that there's not a Mac-specific black keyboard on the market? I feel like this is the mid-90s where there were only beige peripherals everywhere.

9. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

You could get yourself a wireless Apple keyboard and find all the keys for a black MacBook and replace the white ones with them...

No, it wouldn't be the most cost-effective solution, but its a solution nonetheless.

edit: The keys are also pretty easy to replace. Just pull up gently on the upper-left side and they'll come right off. Press down to replace.

If you decide to do this, it would also be a great opportunity to switch to Dvorak. ;)

10. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I agree about the lack of a black keyboard (considering the G3 iMacs came with black keyboards), although the new aluminium keyboards are very nice.

11. mwjd299 macrumors regular

Look at the Logitech s530 or the Logitech Wave. The 530 is silver I believe and the Wave is black. I had the wireless wave and it was great, but the wireless mouse behaved erratically. I returned it and got the corded version of the wave. I really didn't need a wireless keyboard for my iMac.

12. jhkingsr macrumors regular

If you want to use the white wireless keyboard, here's an option. I use one of these on the my aluminum wired keyboard (black to match the MX :)). They're not cheap, but are a great option if you have the older style white keyboard.

13. RojoLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

The s530 is white, and the Wave - although it "works" on a Mac - does not even have the apple and option printed.

I definitely considered this, but am unhappy with prolonged usage...it just doesn't feel right.

14. mwjd299 macrumors regular

15. RojoLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so I actually found this two days ago, but had to hold off posting here until I had one secured. I just won one on eBay for $30 shipped without the mouse - which I would not have been using anyways as I have a Logitech MX Revolution.

So now, on its way to me, is the only black, wireless keyboard designed for use with a Mac (it does still bear the Windows key, but side-by-side with the Option and Apple printing)

The Logitech MX Duo is no longer made, but you can find it on eBay and I'm sure Craigslist in some areas. The picture of the MX Duo below is not mine, just one I found online.

Attached Files:

16. RojoLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

I've never seen a Wave with this?

Edit:I'll be damned - it seems there's been multiple versions of the Wave.

17. skwij macrumors 6502

well, it's not wireless, but it sure is purty, and Mac compatible
    MacAlly Slim IceKey in Black
    [​IMG]

Then there's this one with illuminated keys, but I think it's more PC geared

[​IMG]

18. jones14 macrumors member

Just a thought, but what if you bought a wireless Apple keyboard, and since it is exactly the same layout as the MacBook, couldn't you buy a set of black MacBook keys and swap them with the white ones on the Apple keyboard?

Might be a bit expensive and wasteful but it would get you what you wanted.

Edit: Nevermind, somebody already said this

19. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

It's really too bad that there isn't a wireless Das Keyboard. That would be a kickin' keyboard.

20. unexploded macrumors newbie

In regards to those who proposed buying the new style Apple aluminium keyboard and replacing the white keys (as much as I dislike the new silver/black thing and much prefer the white, why on earth did they make this new keyboard with white keys?), there's a shop on ebay selling a black MacBook keyboard which you could pick the keys off and replace the white keys with them.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-OEM-Apple...ageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m118

And it's a US layout, and works out at about $8. The shop is based in China though, so I'm not sure about the authenticity. I'd give it a shot though.