Blackberry 9500 (Thunder) vs. iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotobadger, Aug 26, 2008.

1. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I've been keeping a close eye on the Blackberry 9500 but have not been able to get too much information. I'm wondering if this will be a real contender for the iPhone (although many have tried and failed so far). I know the major selling point for the iPhone is the UI but if the new Blackberry does most everything the iPhone does...but works, I can live with a UI that's not as slick. Also, the BB is going to be on Verizon.

Does anyone have any more info or thoughts on this? It will be interesting to see what happens. I'm optimistic but hope it doesn't turn out to be another LG Dare (high expectations turned into dissapointment). I've read rumors that BB has run into some snags with their software as well.

I'm also hoping that iPhone 2.1 will bring me back to the level of satisfaction that I had with V1 iPhone 1.1.4 but it will be nice to have a real alternative.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well since the Thunder hasn't been released and information is kind of scarce, it is hard to say whether it will be a challenger to the iPhone. So far, what I've heard makes it look pretty nice. But until I can see some reviews, I'll take all that I've heard about it with a grain of salt. Have you looked at www.crackberry.com for Thunder info?

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If I've heard correctly, the Thunder isn't expected to have 3G except on the CDMA side.

4. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

What does that mean? Slower than iPhone 3G? Not sure I understand...

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

On the GSM side? Yes. But CDMA phones usually have better 3G speeds than GSM phones.

6. radiotowers macrumors member

My expectation (completely unfounded on anything other than observation or use of the current BlackBerry OS and devices) is that the UI will not be nearly as nice as the iPhone and that there will be some hiccups in the transition to a touchscreen interface.

My hope is that the UI is at least more usable than the current BlackBerries. I know there are millions of people who absolutely love their BBs, but I've tried multiple times to convert over and just can't get into it. Especially after having used an iPhone.

The iPhone has numerous annoying quirks and bugs, but it still, by far, suits my needs better than any other phone out there.

And if the Thunder looks good, functions well, and is on the Verizon network, I'd be pretty inclined to switch back. My experience with AT&T and the iPhone on the PHONE side has been less than stellar... in fact I'd venture to guess I've dropped more calls than I've successfully completed.

7. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

it may have all the features, but verizon will lock many of them
    i honestly dont understand why everyone loves verizon so much
    theyre way too controlling

and its hard to be too controlling in an industry where almost everything is controlled

8. rotobadger thread starter macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I completely agree but, for me, I have had far better luck with reception, service availablity and fewer dropped calls with verizon. I travel quite a bit for work and have had cell service with Verizon everywhere from the 50th story in New York City (when others did not) to places like Marshall, Texas and the backwoods of Louisiana. AT&T has been miserable for me and with all the problems with 3G and the operating system I am desperate for an alternative. With that said I do love the iPhone for what it is (supposed to be?). I don't think I could live with out it's fantastic web browser. I also watch a ton on movies as I travel and the media player is also fantastic.

I would be interested to see if Verizon locks down the new BB the way they do the rest of their phones. I have a wait and see attitude at this point but it's a shame Verizon can't pull their heads out long enough to see they could have a winner if they don't cripple their phones.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

have you considered unlocking and using tmobile?
    that could work for you

10. nima macrumors member

nima

thats because theres been rumors about verizon working on there 4g coverage. should compete with att 3g.

11. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

4G will trump 3G connections no matter what. And Verizon's 3G already trumps GSM 3G.

Also, 4G isn't until 2 or 3 years down the road.

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Odd, I've never seen this type of thread before...:eek:

13. vegas-steven macrumors regular

One word:

WIMAX

thank you and goodnight.

14. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Which is being beat down more and more everyday. There will be very few, if any, widespread networks based on it in the U.S.

15. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

then people will complain that there isnt enough wimax coverege blah blah blah like they do now with 3g. its a vicious cycle.

16. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

lol no

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I agree. I'm using Edge now and if I have 4+ bars it really isn't slow for me (in Colorado Springs). MacRumors, for instance, takes ~10 seconds to fully load, ads and all. Maybe 4-5 seconds to see the main news pop up and be readable. That's certainly fast enough for what your going to be using a phone for.