Blackberry Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lexus, Apr 18, 2007.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

I need to get a blackberry but I am not sure which one to get. I will not use it for voice calls. It needs to have MSN messenger though.

I was thinking about either the 8800 or the 8100.

Any advice?

Thanks

2. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Ok I was thinking about the Blackberry Suretype text input thing on the Pearl and was wondering whether it works well. So does anyone here use it and if so how is it?

Thanks

3. shecky Guest

shecky

i would say suretype is about 80% successful. the issue i have is that its definitely a bit goofy to type long emails with, etc. especially since the keyboard is so small, i tend to mistype often (not the fault of suretype, but the fault of fat fingers). i think that is you are going to spend the majority of your time on the BB using email/text, i would go for the 8800. personally, i do about half and half so the suretype is OK with me for now. the size of the phone is great tho. one thing i will say is next time around i will take a look at the 8800 (or whatever full keyboard model is out in 2 years) and seriously consider it; if its not dramatically larger i would go for the full keyboard model.

4. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you don't plan on using it for voice, it seems to me that the full keyboard would be indispensable. My only advice to you though would be to go to the cellular store, brave the salesmen, and try them out for yourself.

5. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

What are your requirements? Have you thought about a Windows SmartPhone instead?

At least with one of those, this can never happen. ;)

6. efoto macrumors 68030

I have a Nokia E62 (blackberry compatible) which is pretty sweet, I use it for voice and data, note keeping, projects, etc....using it like that most of the day I get two full days with bluetooth on the entire time.

There are a lot of non-RIM brand blackberry compatible phones available, I would shop those as the actual RIM products aren't the greatest.
    My company is a beta site for Motorola and RIM so we always have the latest around....sorry to say the latest is not always the greatest.

The pearl is nice for size and style but if you're not even using it as a cellular phone then I would get something with a full keyboard, they are much easier and faster to type on.
    Another option would be to a get a wifi-enabled PDA/Organizer, if you're big on size and style Sony has some nice offerings.

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And with a BlackBerry, this will never happen :D

Attached Files:

8. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

LOL. Nice Photoshop.

For anyone reading this who doesn't know...that doesn't really happen on a Windows Smartphone. :cool:

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How can something with "Windows" in it's name not blue screen? :D

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

how are the windows smart phones? Are they any good?

11. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

I love mine. I use a Verizon XV6700, Cingular has an equivalent. Treo's also now come with your choice of Palm OS or Windows.

For the record, I also administer a Blackberry Enterprise Server...and I'll keep my Smartphone. There are so many problems with blackberry devices. The one cool feature that they have that I wish my smartphone did is the ability to kill it remotely. If one of my clients calls and tells me their device was lost or stolen, I can clear all of the data on the device to prevent any security issues.

12. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

If you don't take my advice on the Smartphone, I recommend the 8800. It's pretty slick and they replaced the scrollwheel with a very Mighty-Mouse-esque ball.

13. shecky Guest

shecky

for those interested, Tmobile is going to be offering the 8800 starting this monday.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I havent used a Windows phone, but I love my Blackberry.

I may try out a Windows Mobile phone next just to see what its like though, I'm always interested in trying new things. But, I have no complaints whatsoever about my BB Pearl

15. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I've seen so many people with the 7250. I myself have learned to like it from playing around with it.