Blackberry and the iPhone 3G comparison?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mikebike125, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Mikebike125 macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I searched and did not find a direct comparison of the blackberry and the iPhone 3G. I currently do not even have a cell phone and the idea of having a GPS on the phone really intrigues me. How does a Blackberry and an iPhone compare? Also, will the iPhone GPS have a speaking voice that will tell you to "turn right, left" as you move along your route?

2. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Which Blackberry device do you want to compare?

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

As of right now, there the BlackBerry doesn't have 3G.

4. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

The Blackberry Pearl has 3G, so do a few more.

5. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I'm almost positive that's not true.
    The BlackBerry Bold will be the first 3G BlackBerry. It won't be out until August.

6. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Nope, it has 3G, im fairly sure, my mum has one and I remember it kept trying to pick up 3G signal and it ran the battery down so I turned it off for her.

7. Ryan.Fork macrumors member

No. No Blackberry device currently on the market has 3G. The Bold will be the first Blackberry to have a 3G radio. It comes out next month for ATT and in August for Verizon, Sprint, and TMobile. :)

8. Mikebike125 thread starter macrumors 6502

Mikebike125

I wasn't aware they had different Blackberry models. Which one would be the closest equivalent to the iPhone 3G?

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Probably the Thunder, whenever that releases.

10. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The soon-to-be released Blackberry Bold.

Both have built-in 3G, WiFi, and GPS. The Bold has a 2.5 inch screen, compared to the iPhone's 3.5 inch screen. Both have a 2.0 megapixel camera. Obviously, the Bold is not touch screen, but has a miniature QWERTY keyboard. The Bold comes with 1GB of built-in memory and will likely start at twice the price of the iPhone.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I'm pretty sure that once you take subsidies into account this won't be true.

12. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

The Blackberry Thunder is CDMA/EV-DO only, and won't be released for another 5 months or so. It will be Verizon's biggest competition to the iPhone for sure.

13. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I believe the "retail price" is set around $800, so I don't know.

14. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

You can get them online for around $400 right now. I'm willing to bet that it'll come in around $150-$199 at the most with contract.

15. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Engadget was reporting a $300 price from AT&T.
    We'll see I guess. I think it could go anywhere from $200-$350 or so subsidized. Seems weird there's still no price point this close to release.

16. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Agreed. I just don't see it coming in at a higher price than the iPhone when the hardware's not worth the premium. Even RIM can see that the new iPhone price point has changed the game a bit.

17. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I guess you know you're a geek when you are looking forward to the battle between phones like other folks look forward to the superbowl or something. I can't wait to see where this goes, and how it causes technology to evolve.

18. KUKitch macrumors 6502

KUKitch

I'm pretty sure the pearl for both sprint and vzw has 3g support.

19. jakemyscene macrumors newbie

Blackberrys are 3g

I have a verizon blackberry pearl and it's 3g as is the pearl on sprint. Both sprint and verizon have at least 3 3g blackberrys: The pearl, the curve, and the 8830. I think the confusion comes from the fact that the curve isn't 3g on AT&T or T-mobile. Maybe is a gsm v. cdma thing.

20. aristobrat macrumors G5

Correct. At least in the US, there is no 3G GSM BlackBerry. The upcoming Bold will be the first one.

21. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

People, you need to be more specific.

Every single currently available BlackBerry on Sprint and Verizon is EVDO capable. EVDO is CDMA's native name for their 3G network. So technically speaking, yes, there are 3G BlackBerrys.

The 8700g released in Eurpose is the only 3G GSM BlackBerry.

The Bold will be the FIRST 3G GSM BlackBerry in the US.

The comparisons need to be left alone, because it will all come down to a person's individual needs, and as such, all comparisons are subjective.

Feature for feature, the Bold has more. The iPhone has a vastly more powerful OS though, and presents a far, far better user experience with far more future potential thanks to that OS. Take your pick.

22. jakemyscene macrumors newbie

I really do like my blackberry pearl. The email is great, and I even like the keyboard, but I'm seriously thinking of the iPhone because browsing the web on the iPhone is a way better experience and the new connection with MobileMe (.mac) is really interesting.

23. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I use the iPhone and the Blackberry Curve. I use the BB Curve on Verizon and yes it is 3G. It is CDMA which is Verizons version of 3G. Any BB on Verizon is 3G.

24. jakemyscene macrumors newbie

Decisions decisions

I wouldn't mind using both, and I have over a year left on my verizon contract. I do like verizon's coverage, but I'm lovin' the idea of a 3g iphone. Being a geek ain't easy. :D

25. JonboyDC macrumors regular

The GPS in the new phone will enable the phone to determine your exact location using the GPS satellite signals, but you need some software (and a database of maps) to turn that information into actual directions. The iPhone includes Google maps, which does give you directions -- but it doesn't read them aloud. However, people seem pretty confident that there will be an app you can purchase that will provide this funtionality -- it's just not certain when.