Blackberry Bold 9700 Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by calebb0917, Dec 3, 2009.

1. calebb0917 macrumors member

Hi, I've asked this question many times, but I don't feel positive that I'm getting the right answer. I want to purchase a Bold 9700 possibly on eBay. I want to use the device's Wi-Fi to access the Internet, App World, etc. I do not want to have service with a cell provider. I just want to use the Wi-Fi. I have an iPhone 3GS. Could I put that SIM card into the Bold to get past the activation process (is there an activation process?) and then take the SIM card out and resume using the Wi-Fi to access the Internet? Do I have to have a SIM card inserted? I would prefer someone to actually try this and tell me the result.
    Thanks in advance!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unlike the iPhone no activation is needed and you can use the phone without service.

I'm curious why you want to use the BB9700 just for browsing online? It's highlights are email and messaging, not Internet browsing.

3. calebb0917 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, i am a tech reviewer and would love to use the phone like this to compare to other phones.
    Can I access Blackberry App World with no activation?

4. itou macrumors regular

no, you can't.
    ... tech reviewer? :confused: reviewers normally are supplied a media kit which i'm assuming you don't/won't have.

5. wako macrumors 65816

as a tech reviewer i would also assume you would know how blackberries work in the first place. Last time i had a blackberry (2 years ago) you had to get the browser app pushed to your phone before you get the internet browser. If you just get a new Bold and stick in a SIM card, only thing you will get working is the phone and the messaging app.

Not sure about App world though. But as the other comment said, why review a blackberry for its internet browser? thats not why it gained fame...

6. Damiantmc macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a blackberry 9700 on T-mobile UK. With no sim inserted in my handset it still allows me to browse the web with wi-fi but the blackberry world (app store) it tells me I need a compatible data plan. As far as I am aware to access the app store you have to have a sim inserted that has blackberry services enabled, although if I'm wrong by all means I'm willing to accept that as I don't know it as fact just what happens on my handset. Hope this helps.

Damian