Blackberry Bold- iTunes Syncing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chuckles:), May 12, 2008.

1. chuckles:) macrumors 6502

RIM is pushing the fact that their new Blackberry Bold will sync with iTunes.

Do they need apple's permission to do this?
    Will Protected music sync?
    Does this make the new b-berry any more appealing to anyone?

As a side note, has anyone noticed how the thing looks like an uglified iPhone?

2. yayaba macrumors 6502

I'm not sure how that's possible. I don't know of anything besides Apple hardware that syncs with iTunes. Well, there's the ROKR but that's the only other thing I know of.

3. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

I'm sure I read this somewhere today too, just can't think which website it was.

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I'm guessing they would need Apple's partnership to sync with iTunes.

But ever since the iPhone came out, Apple stopped supporting the iTunes on the phones that had it...so I'm not sure if they would agree to the Blackberry.

It doesn't look that ugly. Of course it does have tactile keys...better for texting on the road XD.

5. sassenach74 macrumors 65816

sassenach74

Found where I read it, it reads like this:

**Tri-band HSDPA
    **Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g)
    **Half-VGA (480×320 resolution) color LCD
    **128 MB Flash memory plus 1 GB on-board storage memory
    **2 megapixel camera with video recording capability, built-in flash and 5x digital zoom
    **16GB microSD/SDHC card support
    **Bluetooth 2.0, USB 2.0 support
    **iTunes support via BlackBerry Media Sync
    **5 hour talk time, 13 days stand-by

The link to the article:
    http://www.blackberrycool.com/2008/05/12/007171/

Extraction from the link:

For managing music and video, the BlackBerry® Desktop Manager software includes Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry® as well as Roxio Photosuite® 9 LE, which makes it easy to enhance pictures and create photo albums on the computer. For users that manage their collection with iTunes®, the new BlackBerry® Media Sync application provides a simple way to sync iTunes digital music collections with the smartphone***. Support for High Speed USB 2.0 allows all files to be transferred quickly from a desktop computer to the BlackBerry Bold smartphone.

6. eBay macrumors member

those are some dangerous words on this forum lol

7. stephengiem macrumors newbie

you should see this stunting keyboard before you turn your health insurance back on.

[​IMG]

8. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

the bold isnt that ugly....

and it probably syncs in a way similar to missing sync. it probably just syncs playlists that dont have protected .m4a files.

9. mrtune macrumors 6502a

They offer this on some of their other phones as well. You don't sync via itunes. You sync (windows only) via their normal software. It simply has the ability to tap into your itunes library and transfer your songs.

Copy protected songs bought from itunes do not transfer. Only Apple products can play that stuff, IIRC.

10. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

You guys are correct. It will copy over songs from your itunes library as long as they are not protected. Playlists, smartplaylists, etc are not supported. Its a little misleading on RIM's part to say it "syncs" which is definitely not true.

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

It syncs using playlists, it only plays DRM free music, and the software only runs on windows.

12. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Blackberry offers us Mac users PocketMac

Blackberry offers us Mac users PocketMac for syncing iCal, iPhoto etc. It is very nice. I love my iPhone, but might need to get the BB Bold for work purposes. I have been looking into compatibility and am happy to see that BB is more Mac friendly these days.

13. mrtune macrumors 6502a

I believe PocketMac is the worst piece of software ever written for a Mac. I've tried it and it never worked right for me. Whether it would corrupt my address book or ical or whether it would just hang and never finish the sync. I hated it!

14. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

This is disappointing to hear. How long ago did you use it?

15. ciparis macrumors newbie

I had a similar issue (calendar sync hanging with a new bold). I just stopped that sync, went in, and set the first sync to use only specific calendar accounts (I had several), and to replace the phone's calendar entries with those from the mac. I also disabled sending events older than a 60 days. It synced fine after that.

I'm using the version downloaded from Blackberry.com (didn't even bother with the CD since I'm on an Air).

16. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Wouldn't it be great if Apple and RIM teamed up to create an awesome super smartphone?