Blackberry, Cincinnati Bell, and Compatibility

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Fabienne, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

In March of 2009 I bought a Blackberry from Cincinnati Bell. I just got through buying an iPhone from AT&T and switching my wireless plan to AT&T. I would like to sell the Blackberry but I don't know if it is compatible with any other system beside Cincinnati Bell. Can it operate on another system, say T-Mobile? I would like to be able to present it as being usable on another carrier. Thanks in advance for your input here.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What is the exact model number? If it is a gsm phone you can unlock it. If it is CDMA you are sol.

3. Fabienne thread starter macrumors 65816

Fabienne

It's a Curve 8320.

I called AT&T and they told me it would not work on their system even if it were unlocked. They might have been stretching things...this is why I am asking.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If it was unlocked, it would work on AT&T (and T-Mobile for that matter). I'm pretty sure the 8320 is EDGE only, so the carriers' respective 3G bands aren't a concern.

Quick way to test and see if it's unlocked would be to stick an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM in your Blackberry and see if it works (try to make a call to be sure). I guess you couldn't use your iP4 micro-SIM without an adapter, but perhaps a friend has either AT&T or T-Mobile with a regular sized SIM you could borrow for a second?

I'm going to guess it is locked though.

5. Fabienne thread starter macrumors 65816

Fabienne

It is locked. It does work on Edge.

So you are saying that if it was unlocked it would indeed work on AT&T or T Mobile or anyone else (like Verison) and that they were not really telling me the whole truth at AT&T (as astonishing as that might sound)? It would be great if it worked with any carrier.

Newsflash: I did just get off the phone with a guy who unlocks BB's and he told me that more people want a Blackberry which works with Cincinnati Bell than they do a Blackberry which is unlocked and that I would be better off selling it wiped through Criag's List than to go through the trouble of unlocking it and going through e-Bay. Who knew? He says that he can't even unlock Cin Bell because he has no demand for the non-CinBell phones. I hadn't suspected that but it does make the job a bit easier. Thanks for your input anyway. I would not have bothered you if I had known.