BlackBerry Classic Q20 released

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by cube, Dec 18, 2014.

1. cube macrumors G5

2. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

All 20 of them sold out? :eek:

Jokes aside I wish them the best haha

3. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

You know what's sad though? When I googled the name of this phone to get more information about it straight from the source and maybe read some articles, Blackberry's own website didn't even come up on the first page of results.

Attached Files:

4. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

LOL! :D

BB are an interesting one to watch, I wonder how the Passport is doing. Here in South Africa BBs were huge up until late 2012, and then suddenly they dropped BIS service when they launched the Z10 last year and from there its been a free fall.

5. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I hear BB is still doing well in Jakarta. Unfortunately for BB, the only handsets selling are on BB7 and are the cheap handsets.

6. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

Indonesia and South Africa, and more specifically Jakatra and Johannesburg are places where BB had a lot of success, I remember WSJ having a lengthy article WRT that sometime in 2012, and yep, mostly BB7 models to this day remain far more popular, I still see the BB9900 Bold more than any other BB, funny enough I haven't seen the 8520 Curve much lately -that was an insanely popular model up until last year, it was the most popular model down here according to our networks.

Are BBs still the top smartphones in Indo?

7. cube thread starter macrumors G5

That's because you searched what I wrote in the title, that was never the full name, it went from Q20 to Classic.

8. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Pre-ordered myself. My Q10 is without a doubt the best phone I've ever had. Hopefully the Q20/Classic will continue BlackBerry's new and awesome line-up.

9. cube thread starter macrumors G5

I'm about to go back to my Z10 because of the UI efficiency and cellular reception. I never had another BlackBerry.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Enjoy. Please post a review - I've only ever had a Bold 9900 and a Z10 but still interested to hear how the new devices are :)

The Bold 9900 had for me the best cell reception and call quality of any of the phones I've had in the last 7 years.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I estimate it will be somewhat popular by blackberry standards, but I think the appeal will be for existing BB users needing a replacement of the old phones that had the keyboard.

12. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Yes, touchscreen BB users want touchscreen. The BlackBerry virtual keyboard is the best.

13. ravipiero macrumors regular

I don't have an actual data, but from my observation its not the top smartphone in Indonesia anymore. People in Indonesia use BB device for BBM, and since BBM is already cross platform and there are many good Android phones at cheap price, people don't buy BB phones anymore.

But BBM is still no.1 instant messaging preference though.

14. cube, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014

cube thread starter macrumors G5

The Z3 was one of the top 10 phone Google searches in Indonesia this year, which is normal as there was a lot of expectation about it which was connected to this country.

The code name was Jakarta and Indonesia was the launch country. The back has Jakarta inscribed on the back in a limited edition model over there.

15. Tsepz macrumors 65816

Tsepz

BB should have never stopped BIS, it was one their biggest advantages, especially in developing economies, you got 'unlimited' internet + BBM and Email at a flat monthly rate, so many loved it for that, and then you paid whatever your network charged for whatever BB phone you wanted on top, it was super affordable. Had they had BIS with the Z3 Jakatra, I think they would still have a sizable marketshare in the mid end and low end.

I know for example here in SA, when many left their BBs for Androids and iPhones, many got the shock of their lives at the whole cost of data to run these beasts, many of my family members, friends etc... got iPhone 5s, Galaxy S3s, S4s, Notes, Xperias etc... and the 1st phone bills were a shock to them as the cost of data here is expensive without the BIS cushion with its super low flat rate, and many have had to adjust, BB had a major advantage that they just didn't fully capitalise on.

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I wonder if you can get android wear to work properly with bb10, since its compatible with android apps, I would consider getting this if I can get it to work with my 360.

17. Alphazoid, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014

Alphazoid macrumors 6502a

Alphazoid

Yup. I bought two blackberries about 4 years ago and used them on the BIS. With that gone, i might as well just go with a better smartphone if i'm paying all that data bill anyway.

18. cube thread starter macrumors G5

You can find more powerful hardware, but I doubt better system.

19. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I imagine it'll flop like their malformed phablet thing did. Sold less than 200k to customers. People just don't care about these things anymore.

20. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I don't think the Q20 is that big of a leap from the Q10. You can find a Q10 for like $150 on eBay and that is an excellent device, especially with 10.3 loaded on to it!

21. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

This makes a whole lot of sense and probably the reason why BB had such a stranglehold on developing markets. Thanks for the insight.

22. thecurryman macrumors 6502

Yeah I think the classic is aimed at a very very small market and should be expected to sell accordingly.

On the other hand i just ordered a passport (tired of the 6+) to try out bb10.

23. cube thread starter macrumors G5

It is not a Q10 upgrade, it is a device to migrate the BBOS diehards. It is good that it was not finally called Q20 because Q users think it is a throwback.