Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

BlackBerry Confirms Android Smartphone Plans on iPhone Launch Day

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BlackBerry today confirmed that the company will be making an Android-based smartphone, with a launch date aimed for the end of 2015, even as it reported a greater-than-expected annual loss (via Re/code).

The company reported that its latest quarterly loss was 13 cents per share on revenue of approximately $490 million, with analysts expecting 9 cents per share loss on revenue reaching closer to $600 million. Still, BlackBerry believes that its new handset, called the Priv, will boost its quarterly earnings as it heads into 2016.
"We are focused on making faster progress to achieve profitability in our handset business," Chen said. The company also announced plans earlier this month to acquire rival Good Technology for $425 million. "From these initiatives, we anticipate modest sequential revenue growth in each of the remaining quarters of fiscal 2016."
Confirming a previous rumor from June, the smartphone will have a slide-out keyboard and will combine "the best of BlackBerry security and productivity" with Android's robust mobile platform applications, according to BlackBerry CEO John Chen. The company confirmed Priv will launch by the end of 2015, and that the BlackBerry 10 OS will still be supported, getting a software update around March.

Chen also mentioned that he has been aware of the company's steady decline, and that he'll stay in the business as long as there's money to be made. "If I can't make money on the phone, I will be out of that telephone handset business," Chen said. "There is a timeline; I won't tell you when." BlackBerry hopes Priv will fill a niche in the smartphone market with a device that can work as an enterprise-ready work machine, but be fueled by Android's "expansive mobile application ecosystem."

(Image: evleaks)

Article Link: BlackBerry Confirms Android Smartphone Plans on iPhone Launch Day

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
Its amazing what happened to Blackberry.

Apple simply destroyed their company (along with Samsung and Google I guess).

I'm stunned they are still around. I'm even more stunned they pulled in $490 million in revenue.

I haven't seen a Blackberry in the wild in 5 years.

Comment

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
I think the reason why BlackBerry went down is because their business was basically based around BBM. A while back everyone really only wanted a BlackBerry because of BBM and they felt because of this they didn't need to move forward.

Comment

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Apple simply destroyed their company (along with Samsung and Google I guess).

This is incorrect. They did that themselves. They were complacent and sat on their hands while Apple and the others were changing the market. They destroyed themselves by thinking their sales were corporate driven, whereas the others understood that the market is consumer driven.

Comment

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I'm stunned they are still around. I'm even more stunned they pulled in $490 million in revenue.

They’re still pretty successful as enterprise security software providers and the recent acquisition of Good Technologies makes sure that it stays that way. The hardware division is pretty much eating up the profits in other parts of its business. They are not making any money with hardware sales and I don’t think that any BlackBerry 10 device has been able to recover the sunk costs, including of course the huge amount of money that went into developing BlackBerry 10 which they are effectively abandoning now without it ever paying off.

They are really starting to scramble for scraps.

They just see what sticks. You can literally count the number of Android device manufacturers that make a break-even on one hand. They’re pouring resources into developing a custom ROM of Android, developing Android versions of their core apps and developing completely new hardware. BlackBerry is desperate to stay in the hardware business, otherwise they would have abandoned it by now.

Comment

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
This is incorrect. They did that themselves. They were complacent and sat on their hands while Apple and the others were changing the market. They destroyed themselves by thinking their sales were corporate driven, whereas the others understood that the market is consumer driven.

I guess so. They didn't adapt. Still, they wouldn't have need to adapt if Apple didn't come along and change the formula.

You think the Treo or whatever crap Motorola put out was going to put them out of business?

Before Apple, the argument was that you needed a physical keyboard. No one other than Apple took a stand against this requirement.

Comment

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Yikes. How'd that Gretzky quote go? Skate where the puck is going, not where it's been? Nearly 2016 and Blackberry is just now figuring out it's time for a change?

Reactions: Jason83
Comment

Dephtones

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
I'm all for competition so I'm happy with the news. Couldn't have picked a worse day, but still good to see.

Comment

fischersd

macrumors 601
Oct 23, 2014
Vancouver, BC, Canada
All of the CIO's and CTO's I know have all said they'd never allow android devices on their corporate networks. The base OS will never be secure so long as it's open source. The nature of the beast.

Truly foolish move by BB. This will end their handset business (what little they had left). I don't know how much longer they can limp along.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t
Comment

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Still, they wouldn't have need to adapt if Apple didn't come along and change the formula.

You think the Treo or whatever crap Motorola put out was going to put them out of business?

Nope, but there is one constant in business strategy, and that is that when you are a leader in a profitable market that there will be new entrants that will challenge you. At some point a formidable competitor would have entered the market and brought BB in trouble, even if Apple wouldn't have. You just cannot sit and relax when you are market leader, and that is exactly what BB did. Stupid.

Comment

jpgr15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2015
Nope, but there is one constant in business strategy, and that is that when you are a leader in a profitable market that there will be new entrants that will challenge you. At some point a formidable competitor would have entered the market and brought BB in trouble, even if Apple wouldn't have. You just cannot sit and relax when you are market leader, and that is exactly what BB did. Stupid.

Exactly! To top it off, they were so flipping arrogant about everything. They didn't listen to consumers at all. It's like their corporate motto was "this is how we've always done it."

Ridiculous. First year business students could've made better decisions.

Comment

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The base OS will never be secure so long as it's open source. The nature of the beast.

Android may or may not be secure - I wouldn't know as I don't look into it much, but the fact that the OS is open source does not make it insecure.

Linux is also open source, but the vast majority of servers run it because it's far more secure than any other OS.

I suspect the reason Android is more vulnerable than iOS is because of Apple's Walled Garden approach - Apple simply doesn't allow users to install software from anywhere but the App Store. Android, in contrast, allows users to install software from any website via the browser... or any other app, for that matter. You can store apps on Dropbox and install them via the Dropbox app, for example. Third party app stores exist for Android, which can be installed to be just as official as the main app store.

Comment

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
If anything will truly get the revenue flowing again for BB, I think this will be it....at least in terms of a semi large influx of cash. It would be nice to see them come back from the brink; makes for a good story. Also makes a great case study of how NOT to do things, but be able to recover and survive.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.