Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calebb0917

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
Hi, I am looking into getting a Blackberry Curve 8900. I currently have an iPhone 3GS and I plan to keep using that as my phone. I want to use the Curve as more of an Internet device by using the device's Wi-Fi. Meaning that I would have no contract or plan with any cell provider. I would use it just like an iPod Touch. Maybe that can put it in perspective for you. Would I be able to do this? Does anyone have personal experience doing this?
Thanks!

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Hi, I am looking into getting a Blackberry Curve 8900. I currently have an iPhone 3GS and I plan to keep using that as my phone. I want to use the Curve as more of an Internet device by using the device's Wi-Fi. Meaning that I would have no contract or plan with any cell provider. I would use it just like an iPod Touch. Maybe that can put it in perspective for you. Would I be able to do this? Does anyone have personal experience doing this?
Thanks!

There is no point in doing this at all, get an iPod touch if you want just wifi based stuff, that or just keep the iPhone, it really is the best for what you want, because a Curve with no contract is like $400 at that price you could get oh I dont know a 64 gb touch. If you were going to get a Curve use that as the phone and the iPhone as an iPod touch touch, it makes more sense that way.

I am saying your best option is stick with the iPhone and if you really want an iPod touch like device then get an iPod touch, using the Curve as an internet only device just makes no sense.

calebb0917

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
There is no point in doing this at all, get an iPod touch if you want just wifi based stuff, that or just keep the iPhone, it really is the best for what you want, because a Curve with no contract is like $400 at that price you could get oh I dont know a 64 gb touch. If you were going to get a Curve use that as the phone and the iPhone as an iPod touch touch, it makes more sense that way.

I am saying your best option is stick with the iPhone and if you really want an iPod touch like device then get an iPod touch, using the Curve as an internet only device just makes no sense.

Hi, I plan on buying the Curve on eBay, so the price would be more like $259-$300. Also, I love my iPhone and want to keep using it as my phone. My reason for wanting to use the Curve this way is because I have a YouTube channel where I review smartphones and I am interested in the Curve. That's my point behind all of this. Do you know if I could use the Curve this way?

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
As I currently own this phone, viewing Youtube videos isn't gonna be so hot. It's very very blurry, no where near the quality you get on an iPhone/iPod. Also, you also won't be able to access most of its feature without a data plan (service provider). It won't be worth it if you already have an iPhone.

calebb0917

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009
As I currently own this phone, viewing Youtube videos isn't gonna be so hot. It's very very blurry, no where near the quality you get on an iPhone/iPod. Also, you also won't be able to access most of its feature without a data plan (service provider). It won't be worth it if you already have an iPhone.

Well I am mainly using it to review and use some of the apps from the Blackberry App World. Since you own this phone, if you remove the SIM card, does the Wi-Fi still work? If you turn the Wi-Fi on, can you surf the internet?

I appreciate your help.

Ann P

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2009
California
You won't be able to access or download Blackberry App world without a data plan. I pulled my sim and was unable to access the Blackberry browser even over wi-fi. Tried it through Opera mini and got the same error. I hope this was somewhat helpful.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You won't be able to access or download Blackberry App world without a data plan. I pulled my sim and was unable to access the Blackberry browser even over wi-fi. Tried it through Opera mini and got the same error. I hope this was somewhat helpful.

You pretty much can't do anything on a Blackberry that requires Internet without a Blackberry data plan.

itou

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
being a blackberry user myself... i never use my blackberry for webpages.
the browser is garbage.

calebb0917

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2009

Thanks! You saved me from making a horrible, costly mistake! God Bless!

fourcolourblack

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Can I just temporarily hi-jack this thread and ask, can I sync my contacts on my Mac (using Address Book) to a Blackberry, specifically this 8900 as I'm thinking of getting.

Right now, this works perfectly on my Nokia Smartfone. If it can't do that, then there's no point in my even getting this.

Though I'd be able to figure this out on the Blackberry website/forums but no such luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.