Blackberry Curve vs Ipod Touch 4G

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Belm, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Belm macrumors regular

I want to get the Blackberry on Virgin Mobile's Beyond Talk plan which includes unlimited data & text and 300 minutes for $35/month. I'm not a big talker and I mostly want it for the data and GPS. I currently have a Samsung phone that I've had since 2006 and I use that with T-Mobile's pay as you go (I've got about 800 unused minutes on it right now).

I had an iPod Touch for a while but I sold it at the beginning of the summer. I already have a ton of apps and games for it so I wouldn't have to buy any. I don't have any friends with iPhones (crazy, right?) so Facetime isn't a big deal for me. Neither is the camera. The only negative that I can think of is that it's WiFi only but I have WiFi available to me at school and at home. I'd mostly be missing the data usage during commutes or while out with friends.

I don't really want a monthly bill again but it's only $35 which is a pretty good deal. On the other hand, I could just get an iPod Touch again and keep my prepaid phone with no monthly bill and just use WiFi where available. I'm cheap, I know :p.

Help, please?

2. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

New Touch, prepaid phone, no brainer. I'm cheap, too.

3. Belm thread starter macrumors regular

Oh!, I forgot to mention that there is no contract with the Blackberry. If that matters at all.

4. Belm thread starter macrumors regular

5. brendu macrumors 68020

blackberry. it will get bbos6 and that gives it the newer webkit browser so you can take advantage of all that data ur paying so little for. the iPhone is a better phone no doubt but for that price the BB is a pretty great deal.

edit: just reread ur post, noticed your not considering the iPhone at all. I still say BB. The iPod touch is cool and all but I would rather have a smartphone that gave me data and GPS everywhere I go. Much more practical.

6. Belm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! This was kind of my thinking. I've never owned a smartphone before and I'm just wondering if data and GPS will be worth the bill every month (again, I'm cheap :D). I'm pretty sure the convenience of having data and GPS is pretty cool. Plus, it's on Sprint's network and after checking the coverage maps I'd be well covered wherever I'm at. It's such a good deal...

7. NXTMIKE macrumors 6502

you still haven't said why you're not considering the iPhone 4. By having the iPhone, your need for two devices would be obsolete.

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I walked around with a Blackberry 8830 and an iPod Touch for over a year. I would pass the time with the 'Touch and dreaded reaching for the 'Berry. What you really need is a used unlocked iPhone so you can get Tmo rates and still carry one device. BTW, I just went from Verizon to At&t because of the lowest tier data rate. I was paying $45 a month for "enterprise" data at one time on Verizon. Then it went to $30, but with Blackberry compression and the crap web browser I never went over 6 meg a month. Now I'm on At&t with the $15 tier data and so far I've used only about 40 meg in 2 weeks so I think I can make it. Still, At&t prices don't compete well with Tmo. BTW, on Tmo blackberries you can make phone calls from your normal phone number via wifi without using any minutes. Which brings me back to finding an older unlocked iPhone and popping in a Tmo SIM. Of course, there's no software on iPhone to allow you to use the phone call via wifi feature but still having 1 device beats having 2. I know. I put up with it for over a year. As for face time, big whoop. If Apple ties it to iChat then I can see using it more. Until then, it's just taking up space on my iPhone.

9. Belm thread starter macrumors regular

I don't really want a contract and $35/month is better than $55/month for. Plus, the Blackberry's data plan is unlimited opposed to the 200MB or 2GB cap with AT&T.