Blackberry died... should I buy my iPhone today?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seattlemac, Mar 13, 2009.

1. seattlemac macrumors member

seattlemac

All the rumors point to announcement on the 17th, but then how long until the new iPhone would be available? Any psychics out there can advise?

2. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    So your bb died on friday the 13th and you want to buy an iphone the same day?

Go home and stay in an interior room away from things that could fall on you and wait until midnight to come out.

Only then shall an iphone you buy.

3. suburbiton macrumors member

Personally, I'd wait until the next model comes out in June/July.

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The announcement next week will likely only be about software, but could conseviabliy introduce new hardware as well. I would wait until at least then before purchasing an iPhone. In the interim, if you have a GSM phone, you could just buy a pay-as-you-go phone from the same company and swap SIMs so you could at least have phone service.

TEG

5. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I did that just recently. I bought a to go phone. Yeah I got the cheap one. DON'T DO THAT!!! If you can buy the $50 dollar ones do that. This one is a piece of crap, I can't get my other iphone fast enough. You are all saying June or July? Well it is only March. I can't wait that long for a new iphone. So I guess I don't get the newer models. I can wait until the 17th though. I think I can :eek:.

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Go get the iPhone now. Why wait? It's not like your new iPhone will become useless in July.

You won't regret it.

7. syclick macrumors regular

The event on the 17th is an OS update.

Although, there's always the possibility that they could announce capacity bumps.

8. seattlemac thread starter macrumors member

seattlemac

I know and I'm almost there, but through the years I've been the leading indicator for Apple bringing out new models, so I was thinking I'd try to time it one time.
    Looks like it will be June for a new device, though, so we'll see.

9. marine610610 macrumors regular

Get the cheapest phone that will do what you need until the new iPhone comes out.

Some people wouldn't care either way, id be more than a little irritated with myself if i didn't hold out just a little longer.

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

3 months is a long time with a cheap POS once you're used to a smartphone. Buy it now.

11. marine610610 macrumors regular

Good things come to those who wait. Unless money is no object, the gratification of waiting adds to the excitement when you get it. Its all subjective i guess....

12. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Couldn't of said it better myself.

13. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I'd regret buying an iPhone 3G now when three months from now there will likely be an iPhone available with real multi-tasking ability (due to actually having a reasonable amount of RAM) not to mention a faster CPU, better battery, etc.

Wait. Just get a cheap POS to hold you over until June/July.

14. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

I thought the event on the 17th is gonna be previewing the OS update but not actually releasing it.

15. shvartsies macrumors regular

Buy a new iPhone. When june rolls along unlock it and sell it for more than you bought it for on eBay :)

exactly what i did with my 1st gen, still had 200 dollars left over after buying the 3g.

16. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I just got mine and if the new one has stuff I really like I'll just get it (at the full price) and sell the 3G one on ebay or something.

17. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Yep I do know this from first hand experience. I had my go phone for about 3 days and I went out and bought another Iphone. Best decision I ever made

18. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I would go for it now also

19. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Yes, but it'll give a very good idea of what is coming up hardware wise. New features will need new hardware, maybe a foward facing camera for ichat for instance (disclaimer, that's an example, I'm not claiming that will actually be in the update, although that would be nice). The OP will then be in a better position to judge whether or not he wants to wait or not.

20. MrGadget28 macrumors regular

I'd get the 3G now. There's nothing really wrong with it. People talk about plastic cracks. Do you really think Apple will go back to an aluminum iPhone which guarantees bad reception? Of course not!

From what I've read on CNET, Apple plans to release a $100 iPhone. I think they're simply lowering the cost of the current iPhone and making a new iPhone that has video recorder. From the specs I saw, you should definitely get the 3G now. A new iPhone probably won't even release for all we know.

You don't wanna wait 3 months and not have a new iPhone release.