Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
A few people have said that the reason the buttons are not on screen is that it would have warped the screen ratio?
Which I guess makes sense, but at the same time why they couldn't just change the device body size to incorporate them is beyond me. Particularly when Android P is trying to do away with these buttons altogether.

Reactions: Tsepz

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
A few people have said that the reason the buttons are not on screen is that it would have warped the screen ratio?
Which I guess makes sense, but at the same time why they couldn't just change the device body size to incorporate them is beyond me. Particularly when Android P is trying to do away with these buttons altogether.

Have you switched away from Apple again? This phone really intrigues me. I don’t know why. But there’s just something about it that makes me want to buy one.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Have you switched away from Apple again? This phone really intrigues me. I don’t know why. But there’s just something about it that makes me want to buy one.

I switched in April with the P20 Pro and then the reg P20.
I kept my X, but ultimately the P20 just did everything I needed and more so I wasn't bothered about getting rid and have no regrets at all.

I should have my KEY2 on Wednesday. Although, there is some mumblings of that date being pushed back. People who ordered from Clove mobile here in the UK have had emails today saying stock hasn't arrived over here yet and devices will ship on 28th for delivery 29th. That in keeps with the London launch event on Friday but those ordering from CPW / Selfridges haven't been told about any delays. Yet.

Once I have it though, whenever that may be, I'll post some thoughts. :)

Wildo6882

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2015
Illinois
I switched in April with the P20 Pro and then the reg P20.
I kept my X, but ultimately the P20 just did everything I needed and more so I wasn't bothered about getting rid and have no regrets at all.

I should have my KEY2 on Wednesday. Although, there is some mumblings of that date being pushed back. People who ordered from Clove mobile here in the UK have had emails today saying stock hasn't arrived over here yet and devices will ship on 28th for delivery 29th. That in keeps with the London launch event on Friday but those ordering from CPW / Selfridges haven't been told about any delays. Yet.

Once I have it though, whenever that may be, I'll post some thoughts. :)

I would have used the P20 Pro if it was more available in the US. I liked that phone but I hated having to import it and worried about warranty things.

I’ve been trying to get away from iOS for awhile, but the right combo of devices hasn’t been able to pull me away. There isn’t that Apple Watch device on Android right now and that bugs me. But I also don’t know if I REALLY need a smartwatch.

I’d love to hear your thoughts on the Key2 when you get it! Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Aneres11

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Yup I got mine earlier.
Went to Selfridges to pick it up - had a great chat with the BB rep there. Told him if he could feed back to HQ that they need to put the nav buttons on screen, it'd be appreciated haha.

I went with silver.
Spent most of the day playing with it. I've used so many BB over the years but they alwas do take some time to find a groove with. Going from a slab screen to a smaller screen with a keyboard is a bit of a shock ha.

Some early pics:

hSxZ7R6.jpg

M1UyuyW.jpg

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
My usual 24 hour impressions then.

So far. Disappointed.
The screen is pretty poor. I know it's the same as the one in the KEYone but even that last year was a bit of a come down.

I think my main gripe with this is that it 'feels' like a midrange device. Which is a strange thing to say seeing as it is lol. But it really does give me that impression.

Not necessarily from the processor or anything as the phone is generally extremely quick and even bests my P20 in some things which is nice.

Some gripes. The space bar. It feels cheap. I don't know what it is, but it is not a good button and feels totally different to the other keys on here. Lots of others have reported that there's feels the same. It's a shame, as it is truly ruining what is otherwise an amazing keyboard.

Camera. In daylight I can't really fault it so far. In lower light / night time it is truly horrible. Smudgy, slow, noisy and a bit of a mess all round.

So far so torn. I'm not sure that I would actually want to use this over my P20 as a full time daily device. I don't feel like it's giving me anything that I can't already get. The keyboard is obviously nice, but the fact the button I probably press the most is a bit wonky is off putting.

I'll see how I go with it. It's very early days and there's always a bit of a learning curve again.
[doublepost=1530207795][/doublepost]Oh and one more thing. One of the worst fingerprint scanners I've ever used it feels like a first gen scanner from 5 or 6 years ago. Never works first time. I didn't have this with the KEYone so this is very disappointing.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
My usual 24 hour impressions then.

So far. Disappointed.
The screen is pretty poor. I know it's the same as the one in the KEYone but even that last year was a bit of a come down.

I think my main gripe with this is that it 'feels' like a midrange device. Which is a strange thing to say seeing as it is lol. But it really does give me that impression.

Not necessarily from the processor or anything as the phone is generally extremely quick and even bests my P20 in some things which is nice.

Some gripes. The space bar. It feels cheap. I don't know what it is, but it is not a good button and feels totally different to the other keys on here. Lots of others have reported that there's feels the same. It's a shame, as it is truly ruining what is otherwise an amazing keyboard.

Camera. In daylight I can't really fault it so far. In lower light / night time it is truly horrible. Smudgy, slow, noisy and a bit of a mess all round.

So far so torn. I'm not sure that I would actually want to use this over my P20 as a full time daily device. I don't feel like it's giving me anything that I can't already get. The keyboard is obviously nice, but the fact the button I probably press the most is a bit wonky is off putting.

I'll see how I go with it. It's very early days and there's always a bit of a learning curve again.
[doublepost=1530207795][/doublepost]Oh and one more thing. One of the worst fingerprint scanners I've ever used it feels like a first gen scanner from 5 or 6 years ago. Never works first time. I didn't have this with the KEYone so this is very disappointing.

Maybe you just got a lemon?
Can you replace it?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
Maybe you just got a lemon?
Can you replace it?

I probably could yeah. I think I'm going to nip back to selfridges over the weekend and see what the display models are like and if they're the same I'll leave it be. (The dodgy space bar I mean).

If not I'll demand a replacement.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
So it's been a little bit longer now.
Still really on the fence with it.

I like the phone, but I don't feel like it's as big a jump from the KEYone as perhaps has been advertised.
Sure, it's better internally, and the keyboard is bigger which is good, but that's about as far as it actually goes.

The space bar continues to frustrate slightly, but not to the same degree as it did when I first got it. Almost as if I'm getting used to it now.
Still don't like it when I think about it though.

Took some photos today. It could never really be my main camera. Leaves a fair bit to be desired. It's great in bright light, can't really fault it. But as I say with low light you can't just point and shoot and get a serviceable snap.

The camera also crashed on me tonight too which is a bit rubbish just over 24 hours in.

The convenience key is pretty good on the side and I like that it can be mapped too three different apps or actions. Very handy. I also like the new key onthe keyboard to jump between apps. Really rather handy and works so much better than the KEYone keypresses from the home screen.

It's still a good phone. It looks really amazing (in silver) and it does actually perform admirably considering it is a mid range spec. Not really got any concerns there.

There's just something missing. It feels like a KEYone in a slightly different design. Maybe that's what they were going for, I don't know.
Deep down though, I think just having a PKB (something I always favoured and championed) is not really something that I need anymore.
I don't get any benefits compared to Gboard.
Sad times, but I honestly think that's what it come down to.

If I could have it my way, I'd have a PRIV 2.
With flagship specs, a great camera and an improved slide out keypad. One can dream.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Yup I got mine earlier.
Went to Selfridges to pick it up - had a great chat with the BB rep there. Told him if he could feed back to HQ that they need to put the nav buttons on screen, it'd be appreciated haha.

I went with silver.
Spent most of the day playing with it. I've used so many BB over the years but they alwas do take some time to find a groove with. Going from a slab screen to a smaller screen with a keyboard is a bit of a shock ha.

Some early pics:

hSxZ7R6.jpg

M1UyuyW.jpg
Congratulations man! She's a beauty :D

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
So it's been a little bit longer now.
Still really on the fence with it.

I like the phone, but I don't feel like it's as big a jump from the KEYone as perhaps has been advertised.
Sure, it's better internally, and the keyboard is bigger which is good, but that's about as far as it actually goes.

The space bar continues to frustrate slightly, but not to the same degree as it did when I first got it. Almost as if I'm getting used to it now.
Still don't like it when I think about it though.

Took some photos today. It could never really be my main camera. Leaves a fair bit to be desired. It's great in bright light, can't really fault it. But as I say with low light you can't just point and shoot and get a serviceable snap.

The camera also crashed on me tonight too which is a bit rubbish just over 24 hours in.

The convenience key is pretty good on the side and I like that it can be mapped too three different apps or actions. Very handy. I also like the new key onthe keyboard to jump between apps. Really rather handy and works so much better than the KEYone keypresses from the home screen.

It's still a good phone. It looks really amazing (in silver) and it does actually perform admirably considering it is a mid range spec. Not really got any concerns there.

There's just something missing. It feels like a KEYone in a slightly different design. Maybe that's what they were going for, I don't know.
Deep down though, I think just having a PKB (something I always favoured and championed) is not really something that I need anymore.
I don't get any benefits compared to Gboard.
Sad times, but I honestly think that's what it come down to.

If I could have it my way, I'd have a PRIV 2.
With flagship specs, a great camera and an improved slide out keypad. One can dream.
That's a shame, and some of your concerns were expressed by Eric's Griffin to.

Maybe take it back and try another one.

WRT not needing a Physical keyboard, this is what has made me apprehensive about jumping in on the BlackBerry Android bandwagon, I just don't feel I need for it, I am so happy with the BlackBerry Software keyboard on my Samsung

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.