BlackBerry Pearl or Samsung BlackJack

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sstern1, Apr 19, 2007.

1. sstern1 macrumors member

I'm about to go to Law School and I'm planning to upgrade to a MB and also a smart-phone of some sort. Anyone have any experience with the BBPearl from AT&T or the Samsung Blackjack? I'm pretty anti-Treo unfortunately because of all the bad things I've heard about them.

I don't want to wait for the iPhone because honestly it looks like my big hands are going to have a lot of problems typing on that keyboard.
    Convince me otherwise if you have a valid argument.

2. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

I have a BlackJack at work, but haven't taken it home to test with my MacBook. I would only recommend the BlackJack if you will need to access an Exchange Server email account (Outlook). The phone runs a Windows OS, so it's slow to power on, slow to navigate, and slow to power off. Typing on it isn't too bad, but if you trim your fingernails regularly then it may prove difficult. The buttons are firm, and rather close. Lastly, the screen is difficult to see when outdoors.

On the plus side, it fits in a deep pocket easily, and has an extended capacity battery available. I'm using the larger battery, and manage to go 3-7 days without recharging. I don't talk much, I mainly use it for email. It serves it's purpose at work just fine.

3. dominicansrul93 macrumors regular

My friend has a pearl and it is very fast and easy to use. The OS is way better than the blackjack also.

4. josepho macrumors regular

I'd second the Pearl recommendation. I'm currently using a Blackberry 8700G, after upgrading from a 7230, and am very taken with the Blackberry way of life. The interface reminds me very much of the elegant simplicity of Google, which means that it works well and is very responsive. Messages open in the blink of an eye, and replies are dispatched just as quickly.

My next device will be a Blackberry 8800, when O2 UK pick it up. It has all the multimedia advantages of the Pearl, but with a full qwerty keypad. Nice.

BB all the way.

5. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

My friend just got the Pearl for T-Mobile and holy crap is it amazing... It is so fricken tiny too. I don't know if he got a non business version or what but it is nuts how tiny it is (for a smart phone) and the interface is delicious. That little scroll ball thing is just wonderful... I hate just hate my PPC 6700 now... I mean I always had because windows just kicks it's ass.

Honestly I think if you are going in to Law and need something that is gonna do what it's supposed to and be reliable you need to get something other than a phone with Windows. When it works it works pretty well, but when it doesn't it kills you. I don't know how OS's work but things always go wrong for my PPC-6700.

For example:

1) Won't pick up calls though I keep pushing the answer key
    2) Freezes
    3) Stalls even though I have a gig of memory in there and it has 30 some mb's of memory alone for the operating system (I never have more than one application running)
    4) Something has happened where it always says I have one text message. The only way to fix this that I know is a clean restart (erasing all memory what so ever) Now that might not be such a problem but since I only have OS X and am too cheap to buy the software that helps talk to OS X I can't back up all my information.
    5) About 75% of the time I am able to make phone calls.
    6) The screen turns on every once and awhile just because it can. Even if it is 10 feet away from me.

Note: I have the Sprint Version of the PPC-6700. I also had the 6600 and had many of the same problems. I got the 6700 for free other wise I would not have gone with the phone.

Perhaps some people have some good experience with windows mobile/pocket pc phones?

6. sstern1 thread starter macrumors member

Anybody know anything about the Cingular 3125? I think it might be better suited to my law school needs and its a lot cheaper.

Thoughts?

7. Vtorch macrumors member

Well, I guess I'm gonna endorse the Blackjack or Windows Mobile.

Ignore the fact, that my endorsement is soley weighted upon my use of the Palm Treo 700w since you dislike it. However, I have had no problems whatsoever with MY phone. It's the second Windows Mobile device I have owned and my best. My first one was the Samsung i700 Pocket PC.

To be honest with everyone, I have never experienced a single problem with any of my Windows Mobile phones that many other people seem to be having with it. Especially with some of the examples "poppe" had illustrated.

Because of my phone, I store many files through the memory within the phone itself or the optional memory card. I like the fact that I can store Excel spreadsheets to which I can work on even on the phone itself.

When you are in law school, you will be writing a lot "Briefs." Chances are you'll be using MS Word, to which you can open and use the App within the phone itself.

Then you got your usual stuff that's pretty good to use, such as camera with video, mp3, voice recorder....blah, blah, blah.

You have hundred of extra software.

Right now, the best thing I love about my Windows Mobile is the fact, that can watch DirecTV programming in my home via Slingbox Mobile software.

Well, basically I think all phones are the same. I hope I highlighted some advantages with the Windows Mobile device that might or might not sway you. It's up to you. Blackberry seems to be a very good solid phone.

Here some advice for law school:

1. Memorize all the RULES word for word
    2. Prepare to be called on and grilled intensely every day.
    3. Master "IRAC" <----Most important

Good luck!

8. sstern1 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the advice. appreciate your perspective on law school and the treo.