Blackberry plan more than iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, Nov 15, 2008.

1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Does anyone know why the BB plan on AT&T cost more per month than the iPhone plan?

I was thinking about going to the Bold, but the $10 per month bump I don't think is worth it. Real handsome phone though, got my hands on one the other day -- pretty impressive.

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

A MobileMe subscription for personal use also bumps up an iPhone cost by over $8 a month.

But I thought you could keep the $30 plan if all you want is regular email / web.

The higher priced plans include support for access to a corporate BES.

3. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I was just looking, the Blackberry data plan in $30, the iPhone data plan is $20. Aren't they the same thing considering they're both just basically unlimited Internet?

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The iPhone plan is $30.

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

the plan for the ORIGINAL iPhone is $20
    The iPhone 3G's plan, however, is $30 as well
    the difference is the type of data your paying for. The original iPhone only has access to EDGE data, whereas the BB and 3G have access to 3G data
    The extra $10 a month is paying for the 3G service

6. poriggity macrumors newbie

After activating my 2g Iphone last night, and playing with it today, I am pretty impressed with it. The phone is one of the "additional" lines on our family plan, so its $9.99/month, I also have unlimited text and I pay $20/month for unlimited data, and I am happy with it thus far. My MIL has a blackberry (not sure which one) and she's paying $40/month for unlimited data 3g....
    Scott

7. chris1016 macrumors member

The original iPhone had a cheaper plan because it wasn't subsidized, right? The new iPhone is subsidized, and AT&T has to pay for the phone somehow, which is why the more expensive plan is required. Data for all Blackberries is $30 on AT&T, even the Pearl and Curve (which aren't 3G phones).

8. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

The thing that's keeping me from trying out the Bold is that the $30 only gives you BIS, not BES. BIS doesn't give you true two-way reconciliation, which is a pain. At least with the iPhone the $30 data plan also includes MS Exchange, providing you have an account.

9. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I think the $30 is more to cover network charges as the 3G allows you to consume A LOT more bandwidth than Edge.

10. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

What at&t basically did was get rid of the special $20 iPhone data plan and put it in the same pricing category as their other smart phones. If you notice, the 200 included text messages have been removed as well.

11. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Okay so that's what it is. The 3G plans are $30/month and my original iPhone plan is $10 less because it's not 3G. Thanks.

12. chris1016 macrumors member

The Blackberry Pearl and Curve aren't 3G, but they still require a $30 plan. :(
    Perhaps the $20 plan was special treatment for Apple... who knows?