BlackBerry PlayBook Fail

Discussion in 'iPad' started by monaarts, Mar 22, 2011.

1. monaarts macrumors 65816

So BB started pre-orders on their 7.6" copy-cat tablet.. Same cost of the iPad 2, with basically the same specs other than 512MB vs 1GB ram. If you look at it though most of the UI seems crappy, and the parts that don't look like they stole it from others.

Multitasking Screen:
    TouchPad:
    [​IMG]

PlayBook:
    [​IMG]

App Store Information on Website:
    iPad:
    [​IMG]

PlayBook:
    [​IMG]

This thing is going to fail, even more of an epic fail than the Xoom!

- Joe

2. Blakjack, Mar 22, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2011

Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I have a feeling its actually a good tablet, At least better than the xoom when it comes to UI fluidness. Blackberry isnt a pushover company. I think they may have something that will satisfy the consumeras long as the battery is trong. but it will fail in terms of competing with what Apple has put together in the iPad and the Whore OS Googles got going in Android. But of course we wont really know until its out. Its got a chance to be as stable a OS as WebOS. BBs biggest problem is that they are coming late into the game behind iOS, Android, and WebOS. I hope catering to the business community works out for them, but with iOs getting ever stronger in that area, its hard to say. In a sense its almost like they are going to try and take back what Apple has taken away from them.

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It actually looks quite good in my opinion.

Competition is good and I am interested in what reviewers have to say about it, comparing it to both the Apple iPad and Motorola XOOM.

4. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Troll.

Anyways competition is good, although its seems the playbook are going after a different market.

Anyways back at CES i was actually impressed with the speed of the ui. Problem with android is that it gets kinda chuggy from time to time. Playbook run very well, ios feel.

I dont like the small screen, but again, competion is good, and im looking forward to reviews etc

5. sillyrabbitt macrumors 6502

And if it truly runs android apps it might be the best android tablet...

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I'm not a blackberry fan or user; however their OS looks nice.

IMO, if apple does not substantially step up the game w/ iOS5; they may have some defectors.

I hope they change it up nicely; and allow some truly user productive tasks. One can only hope.

7. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Doesnt look like a bad setup IMO... Def a great option for folks who wanted a smaller device.

8. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

How is this?

- Joe

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

All reports I've heard or read indicate the PlayBook is a very capable device. It also offers true multitasking. The biggest unknown seems to be battery life. Hopefully RIM will get this worked out. Better competition = better iPads in the future.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I think he should have said something like "Fanboy slanted post".:D

11. aristobrat macrumors G4

This product is targeted specifically to existing BlackBerry owners.

If you're familiar with UI of a BlacKBerry, the UI of the PlayBook is quite awesome.

I don't see this device failing. Even if this thing gets panned on reviews, I see enough hard-core BlackBerry owners buying it simply to spite Apple. :)

But seriously, the tablet market does need some competition. Otherwise Apple's going to be slow with future big iPad improvements...

12. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

+1 on this. All consumers want is a stable OS with a stable UI and quality Apps. If BB and Hp can come with the Apps it would be that much better for us Apple fans. Competition is always good.

13. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

I understand this, and it is the point of my thread. I don't see it being strong enough of a competition to make a long-term difference. I WANT a company to come out and announce an awesome tablet at $400 to make Apple make some changes. I feel like all of these other companies just rushed their product and didn't sit down and ask, "How could we make this thing different but practical?"

- Joe

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I think that RIM announced the the PlayBook (formally known as: Black Pad (I believe)) in fall (September) of last year. If anything it hasn't been "rushed" but slow to market.

15. OSMac macrumors 65816

I see a large success for RIM with this.

In much of the business world, BBs are the only devices ever considered.
    This tablet unless it has major release issues will sell to those.

Maybe more important for RIM keep those from considering buying in to Apple products.

16. iLuis macrumors member

They was making for fight with the first iPad generation.

iPad 2 is another thing. :cool:

17. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

I briefly entertained the notion after switching from a Blackberry to iPhone several years ago. Thought it could be nice to get BBM and a nice email client on a somewhat portable device.

But alas, the tethering requirement to a Blackberry for the aforementioned was a bit of a letdown. WebOS is pretty slick and I do hope iOS entertains some of the features such as widgets and notifications (please).

Other than that, I do not see this product succeeding and am short RIM shares for this and other reasons.

18. OSMac macrumors 65816

Why ?

19. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Chris Rock said it the best.

"Anyone who makes up their mind before even examining an issue is a F##king Idiot"

And I tend to agree with him.

20. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't understand where this came from.... No one made up their mind about anything in this thread?

- Joe

21. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Does this answer your question?

22. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

I am stating an opinion. I think the UI looks crappy. I also think it is going to fail. I didn't make up my mind, I never considered buying a PlayBook but I am also not purchasing an iPad 2.

23. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I see no reason to slander a product prematurely, especially without having tried it. Of course, "the right tool for the job" is still applicable and this appears to not push the right buttons for you and that is completely fine.

I am very interested in the multitasking capabilities and what Apple might learn from it.

And it wouldn't hurt Apple to include some widgets or the ability for a different class of apps that functions as widgets in the next version of iOS.

I feel that Apple needs to differentiate the iPhone iOS from the iPad iOS down the road, especially after having tried Mac OS X Lion and how it incorporates many touch elements from iOS.

24. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Looks pretty good to me. Those expecting it to fail are deluded… it will sell well.

Here in the UK I see more Blackberrys than any other smartphone, and their owners adore them.

25. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816