Blackberry Storm Cost More To Build Than iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by OnlyOneThatEver, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Yeah, saw this earlier... It doesn't surprise me at all seeing as the majority of iPhone's hardware (ie. chipset) is nearly two years old. The cost of the devise will explode when they add the rumored multi-core CPU and/or GPU...

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The production run for the iPhone has been decent - there are reports saying that prices of actual components have decreased over time for the iPhone 3G.

It's not all about hardware though - What are some of the problems with the Storm? Strane (in some eyes) hardware implementation (click the screen like a button?) and buggy OS.

To be behind in this game, is to miss out - Apple's gaining lock in through people using the app store and building inertia to swap, alongside their contract agreement a person has for the year or so.

Will be interesting to see their v2 of the Storm, with some kinks worked out.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

The Storm's doing amazingly well, considering it had some bad press and lack of inventory at first.

One million sold in two months, and reportedly RIM is pumping out 250,000 a week to meet current demand.

Compare that to ATT's equivalent of 1.3 million 3G iPhones in two months (1.9 million in three months) with great press and lots of inventory.

Clearly there's some pent up demand at Verizon.

4. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

It still sucks IMO. I had one for less than 24hrs and came back to my iphone.

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Any idea if there has been a breakdown stats of this demand - what's the mix of business purchases and personal buys for business/nonbusiness?

6. firewood macrumors 604

There are a lot of potential iPhone-like-device customers who are stuck with Verizon (no AT&T coverage at home or work, company provided account, etc.). What choice do they have except for the Storm? If they had AT&T coverage and/or the option of switching accounts, how many of that 250k per week would still choose a Storm?

7. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

I tried the Storm too. Telus in Canada were doing a renewal promo and offered the Storm at a significant discount. It was awful and I declined the plan...

8. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I tried one out, the hardware is nice but GOD I hate that screen. And the OS is pretty crappy too :p

And we can't forget that the Storm lacks Wifi, a basic feature that even the iPhone has!