Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
I love my iphone but hate att. I want to move to verizon and get a blackberry or something. what phone of theirs that has wifi most closely resembles the iphone in terms of GUI and web browsing? thanks

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
I love my iphone but hate att. I want to move to verizon and get a blackberry or something. what phone of theirs that has wifi most closely resembles the iphone in terms of GUI and web browsing? thanks

Storm 2 which is due out soon.

chstr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
No.

One lesson that Apple seems to have taught to carriers, was that they could require everyone to get a data plan, without facing too much pushback.

theres no way out of it? even if where you use it the majority of the time has no data service? (even though I know verizon works everywhere)

kdarling

macrumors P6
Sorry, I can't think of an out, although I am not an expert on the topic.

Since last November for Verizon, and now for ATT (I think), all current smartphones are required to have a data plan.

(There are older models that don't fall under the requirement, and are now sought after by WiFi or standalone fans.)

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Verizon has a history of crippling the wifi on their devices so there is no guarantee the Storm 2 will have it. You might want to wait for the Moto Sholes due out later this fall if you want an Android device. That's what our business is doing.

jw nyc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Verizon has a history of crippling the wifi on their devices so there is no guarantee the Storm 2 will have it. You might want to wait for the Moto Sholes due out later this fall if you want an Android device. That's what our business is doing.

Verizon already said that all their new smartphones will have wifi.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Verizon has a history of crippling the wifi on their devices so there is no guarantee the Storm 2 will have it.

Myth. Verizon never crippled WiFi.

First, there have been WiFi equipped phones on Verizon for years.

Second, if a CDMA phone came with WiFi, it showed up on Sprint and Verizon the same way.

Where I think the myth came from, was that for years GSM phone models often had WiFi (almost a necessity with AT&T's lack of 3G)... whereas the CDMA models did not (partly because of battery, partly because CDMA carriers had generally widespread 3G coverage.)

Basically, CDMA phones just usually didn't come with WiFi. Now, consumer demand has made it popular to have it. Personally, I've rarely used it on a CDMA 3G phone. Just had no need.

tandersn9

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2009
If your going to get the storm wait until the storm two comes out, otherwise you will be very unhappy. I had the original one, the long and short of it was that it sucked, hence why I am now using an iphone.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
If your going to get the storm wait until the storm two comes out, otherwise you will be very unhappy. I had the original one, the long and short of it was that it sucked, hence why I am now using an iphone.

It is not that the storm sucks. It is more you expect the storm to be exactly like the iPhone. When you expect something that is different to be exactly like something else it will suck.

It like like going in an expecting a PS3 to be exactly like a 360. Going in expect that will make you think the PS3 sucks.

I know people who love the storm while hating the iPhone. To each there own.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Myth. Verizon never crippled WiFi.

First, there have been WiFi equipped phones on Verizon for years.

Second, if a CDMA phone came with WiFi, it showed up on Sprint and Verizon the same way.

Where I think the myth came from, was that for years GSM phone models often had WiFi (almost a necessity with AT&T's lack of 3G)... whereas the CDMA models did not (partly because of battery, partly because CDMA carriers had generally widespread 3G coverage.)

Basically, CDMA phones just usually didn't come with WiFi. Now, consumer demand has made it popular to have it. Personally, I've rarely used it on a CDMA 3G phone. Just had no need.

Well lets see there is some truth to it. Verizon has in its past for a lone while crippled blue tooth on many of there phones. The blue-tooth could only be used for pair with a head set but Verizon would not allow file transfer view blue tooth because OMG it cuts into possible profit for things like ring tones.

I would not put it pass verizon for a while not really wanting to allow wifi on many of there phones or putting a lot of pressure for the companies not to make wifi phones. If one came out with wifi Verizon would target the profit.

Some other facts you look at is why the hell does the BB tour not have wifi while the curve 8900 and the bold both do. It just does not make sense unless Rim was under pressure not to add it.

As for GSM getting wifi it is more because most of the world is on GSM so they tend to get the new toys first. I personally perfer using wifi over a 3G connection because 1. it is faster and 2. it uses less battery power. Hmm hard choice there.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

First Storm was a joke. No idea how the second one will be.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Honestly, if you want a Blackberry, get a Blackberry. But if you want a Blackberry that is like the iPhone you will be disappointed no matter what you get. The Blackberry UI and software is basically the same in every model and the only similarity the Storm has with the iPhone is the fact that it has a touchscreen.

jmann

macrumors 604
Honestly, if you want a Blackberry, get a Blackberry. But if you want a Blackberry that is like the iPhone you will be disappointed no matter what you get. The Blackberry UI and software is basically the same in every model and the only similarity the Storm has with the iPhone is the fact that it has a touchscreen.

That is completely correct, and also the new VZW Blackberry Tour shares the same OS as the storm only minus the touchscreen. Very pretty phone BTW, but they are sooooo complicated compared to the iPhone. I hate troubleshooting those damn things. Because even the user manual don't explain super important things. :mad:

kdarling

macrumors P6
Verizon has in its past for a lone while crippled blue tooth on many of there phones. The blue-tooth could only be used for pair with a head set but Verizon would not allow file transfer view blue tooth because OMG it cuts into possible profit for things like ring tones.

Ha. And what's the reason why the iPhone can't transfer files over BT? Why can't it link to keyboards? Why was it missing stereo for so long?

This is always the silliest complaint, since the iPhone came infinitely more crippled than most Verizon dumbphones, much less smartphones.

Verizon has never messed with Bluetooth on their smartphones.

Some other facts you look at is why the hell does the BB tour not have wifi while the curve 8900 and the bold both do. It just does not make sense unless Rim was under pressure not to add it.

For the same reason that some carriers sell Blackberry models without cameras. Until last year, Blackberries were mostly bought by enterprise customers, who did not want WiFi access included. Some carriers catered to that market more than others who wanted the consumer side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.