BlackBerry Tour or Iphone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TheShinyMac, Aug 16, 2009.

1. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

My family has verizon. My line/number is available for a upgrade. I could get the tour for 199. Or I can transfer my number to att with my cousin, using her account and add a line. I can transfer my number for free and then get the iphone. I can't decide which one I want. They both look great. Can you help me pick?

Attached Files:

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    They are both great phones, and the Tour feels nice and expensive when you hold it. :) It also has a nice light up keyboard. I am biased for the iPhone because I have one. But I work for Verizon and the Tour is a great very fast phone.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The tour isn't even up to snuff with the Bold, let alone the iPhone. Go for the iPhone.

Having said that.

If you want a phone for a lot of quick (and not pretty) email, then get the blackberry. If you want a nice user experience and a big screen get an iPhone. Also the iPhone's email definitely isn't a weak point, I would just say it's faster to navigate the blackberry's client. The iPhone's email is killer.

4. vmatikov macrumors newbie

Well, while I do think BlackBerry makes great devices... You should go with the iPhone. Altho, it does depend on what you need.

The iPhone comes with an avaliablity of 50k+ apps.. The BB appworld er w/e doesn't have nearly as many. The iPhone has a giant touchscreen.. The BB has a very nice hardware QWERTY (personal preference, imo).

More importantly: apple will release updates for the iPhone for a very long time. The interface is tested, and it's one of the best. While I hear that BB is exteremly stable and nice looking, it's cluttered, and idk how long it'll be supported.

So rly, it's what you want: a lil piece of plastic, or a huge glass screen

5. vmatikov macrumors newbie

You have an iPhone AND you work for verizon?? They let you?!?!?!

6. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

Valid point, does anyone who owns a tour want to chime in?

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I'm weird, I have an iPhone on T-Mobile and work for Verizon. ;) I love chatting about iPhones and all the cool stuff they do with people I know who are leaving Verizon for AT&T for an iPhone. Bad I know, but I don't care. :D

8. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

9. vmatikov macrumors newbie

Lol I would do that... Like ppl come in to get a Verizon phone and I whisper to them "no.. you don't want any of this.. go get an iPhone ;)"

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Exactly. I'm customer care, so I answer phones, but AT&T and Verizon's price plans are the exact same, so other than if the network in your area sucks, there is no reason to be on Verizon if you want an iPhone. :)

11. TheShinyMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

TheShinyMac

my bad i posted the wrong picture

Attached Files:

12. theJamie macrumors member

Blackberry have keyboards and keyboards are easier with nails FYI. Well, they are easier in general.

13. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I would choose the iPhone because of App Store. BlackBerry has App World but it doesn't compare to App Store.

If you need a BlackBerry for work, then by all means go with the Tour.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Using your nails to type on anything is a bad idea.

That said, if you need email capabilities, get the Blackberry. It can't be beat.

15. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

*clips off all of jamie's nails* bwahaha

16. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

iphone email is a joke. the iphone to me is a multimedia phone and the BB an actual "smart phone". If your a mobile warrior, i would go with the BB, but if you want a fun phone, go with the iphone

17. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I have a BlackBerry Tour and I love it. Sure there are a few problems, but it's still a great phone. The keyboard is great, screen is beautiful (better than the iPhone).

It really depends what you want to use it for. If you want easy messaging (email, text, Twitter, Facebook, etc.) I say go for the Tour. If you're just about media then go iPhone. The BB App World is no App Store but it does have some good options, but really would be better off getting the CrackBerry App Store (from Mobihand) since the range of apps there is MUCH larger.

18. theJamie macrumors member

Well I just knew that it is difficult to type on a ipod touch or iphone with nails because Dita Von Teese posted that on her twitter. It isn't like you USE your nails to type... it just prevents you from being accurate on a touch screen because the pad of your finger is larger than the tip.

19. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I own a blackberry curve, and the tour is almost the same thing, except for 3G, but the tour def looks nice and luxurious. The iphone, well there isn't much to say, but it's a god damm beautiful device!:eek:

I would go for the tour, but it lacks wi-fi, and it has a better camera than the iphone (i.e 3.2 MP)

I would get the Bold, but verizon doesn't have that!

Good Luck!:)

20. AMessy macrumors member

I would make sure that AT&T has good 3G service in the areas that you frequent before switching. I had the iPhone 3G for over a year but dropped it for the Tour with Sprint because of AT&T's spotty non 3G service in my area. I'm much happier now but it's purely a service thing, both phones are great.

21. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

You can't type on the iPhone screen with your nails because it is capacitive screen and it requires an electrical field on the screen to be disturbed to register a touch, it won't recognize your nails. :p

22. omarjk macrumors regular

Wi-fi enabled phones are the future:

http://www.billingworld.com/news/briefs/ctia-i-want-my-wi-fi-and-so-does-everyone.html

The Bold also supports HSDPA, the next step from UMTS i.e. 'faster 3G' to quote Apple's speed blurb on the iPhone 3G S webpagehttp://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/high-technology.html. With that in mind, I bought the Bold.

So I would be asking myself whether it's to be the iPhone or the Bold (discount the Tour); I did ask others in a recent thread. I settled on the Bold as I need smooth Outlook integration, with an emphasis on email capability. Although the Bold can hold its own when it comes to web browsing, there are times when you do yearn for the bigger screen once you have surfed with an iPhone. I find myself rotating the Bold wishing it had an accelerometer sometimes, even though the feature would be pointless with its smaller screen.

Apps are obviously better via Apple due to the choice out there, but users on this site should be familiar with less choice having mostly chosen Macs over Windows and the fewer programs designed for them (e.g. utorrent, which is altogether better than Transmission and utorrent Mac). Smaller choice does not necessarily equal worse quality and there are much fewer junk apps made for the BlackBerry.

Keypad tests have shown that users can type at a rate so similar that there is little to choose between them in that arena. Some people prefer one pad to another, but my guess is that if they were trying equally hard they could type as fast on one as the other.

In summary do you want to use the phone for multiple email accounts, or shall it be primarily a multimedia device?