Blackberry unlimited plan to iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ImScaredSarge, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ImScaredSarge macrumors newbie

ImScaredSarge

First off, I'm quite excited about joining the Mac community by making the transition to iPhone from my bberry Bold. But I'm curious as to whether I will be able to keep my unlimited data plan (specifically called a Blackberry unlimited plan) or if I will be forced into a new limited plan. Any ideas?

Either way, I'll be preordering on Tuesday, but my friends call me whiskers so I just have to know ahead of time.

2. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

Well i know in Canada you aren't suppose to do it, but u can by changing the APN settings on your iPhone.

3. toffa813 macrumors regular

As long as you have the unlimited data for any smartphone through AT&T right now you can keep it and upgrade to iPhone 4.

I know this is the case for current iphone owners, and am pretty certain it is for other smartphone owners.

4. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

you will 100% be able to keep the unlimited plan on your account

5. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

Mmmm, I dunno about that, until iPhone 4, iPhone has always had a special data plan unavailable for other phones.

6. ImScaredSarge thread starter macrumors newbie

ImScaredSarge

I love the certainty behind this statement. I'll carry it optimistically with me through the ordering process.

Thanks for the quick input guys.

7. Lenxal macrumors regular

Here you go

As many of you already know, existing Smartphone customers who already have a Smartphone data unlimited plan on their account will be allowed to keep their existing data plan should they choose, even if upgrading their device to another Smartphone; this includes ALL Smartphone Operating Systems such as iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Mobile, webOS and Symbian. So, if you currently have a smartphone, such as a BlackBerry and would like to upgrade/switch to another smartphone like an iPhone, you can do so without losing your current Smartphone data unlimited plan.

For more information on the New Smartphone Data Plans, check it out here.

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple/Clarification-on-the-New-Smartphone-Data-Plans/td-p/1938734

8. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

http://9to5mac.com/node/17734

ATT video clearly proving im right ;)

9. ImScaredSarge thread starter macrumors newbie

ImScaredSarge

I had watched that video earlier, but my skeptical self still wasn't fully convinced I'd be able to keep my plan. Lenxal's find, though, is pretty reassuring.

10. soupcxan macrumors member

I don't have a blackberry data plan, but can I add the "Messaging & Data Unlimited" feature ($30/mo for unlimited text and data) to my ATT account today and then grandfather it on to my iphone 4 next week? I don't really have a smartphone (sony w810, although it does have data services). Not sure if the addition if this will be treated the same was as those with a blackberry data plan. Any thoughts?

11. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

I believe AT&T's new data plans pricing apply to all smartphones. So adding a data plan now should only be the new pricing.

12. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

In case you haven't found out yet, I can verify this. I upgraded from a Curve 8310 to the new iPhone and got to keep my unlimited plan. A pleasant surprise!

13. nlr macrumors 6502

How do you change the APN as I have the 9700 and will be using my plan on the iphone 4.