Blackberry users who also use an iphone on AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alansaysstop, Jan 1, 2010.

1. alansaysstop macrumors regular

I'm looking to pick up a blackberry to try out for a little bit, but I really don't want to part with my iPhone or my iPhone plan. Is there anyway I can have both a Blackberry Data plan and an iPhone data plan without messing with my service? Anyone do this on a weekly/daily basis? I know a lot of you buisness guys need it for work since Blackberrys networks are super secure.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to mentioned that I'd just like to switch my SIM between devices.

2. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I know it would work perfectly fine with Calls, SMS, MMS and the Web browser.

Not sure about it's default email client. And not sure about BB messenger, even though I had a PIN in the settings I never tried it out.

Worked for me using a ATT branded BB Curve 8900.

3. alansaysstop thread starter macrumors regular

did you have both data plans? i dont really care about the email since i can just use the browser, i dont get important emails that i need to see right away.

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I never had any type of Blackberry Data plan.

Also if the email doesn't work, you can also install a 3rd party app for email.

5. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

If you will purchase the Blackberry, set up your account with the Blackberry BIS plan (same cost=$30 as iPhone plan, and it gives you the personal Blackberry email plan), you will get the best of both worlds. You will get to experience the true push Blackberry service since you will have a Blackberry data plan, plus with this plan, you can still pop your SIM into the iPhone and use it normally. The only thing you will lose this way is the iPhone's visual voicemail...it will still work as traditional voicemail however. Just hold the "1" on the keypad to access voicemail like non-visual voicemail phones. AT&T shouldn't do anything to you for this, as your still paying the same data rate ($30) for the Blackberry plan as you would be for the iPhone plan. I've done this for up to a year at a time without one peep from AT&T. And if you decide one device is better than the other, you can call in and switch the data plan to that device's specific plan at any time.

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Not a bad idea, since both plan costs the same.

Wonder if AT&T would say something about switching/toggling plans to often even if the cost is the same?

7. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

No, they won't care. I do this quite often actually. You can switch data plans at any time, provided you have a valid device for the plan you are switching to. (if you call in to switch to a Blackberry plan, they will ask you for a IMEI number that has to be from a Blackberry, if you are switching to an iPhone plan, you will have to provide a iPhone IMEI number). As long as you have a corresponding device for the plan you want, you can switch any time. I've even switched several times in the same month with not one word from them.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Get ready to go back to your iPhone fairly quickly. The BB browser is pretty bad. Emailing is fine, but setting it up and changing settings are not particularly "user friendly". Blackberry's are quite different from the iPhone IMO.

9. thespazz macrumors 6502a

Get the BIS data plan. That will work on both your iPhone and BB. I did this in the past and had NO problems! Good luck!

10. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

From what I have heard, as soon as your sim sees that you have a different device it automatically changes your plan. Just like the iphone can not be on an account without a data plan, same goes for a BB. (Unless it is Jailbroken and you have cheated the system) I mean you can try it out.. it may work. I know that it does in fact do it through Verizon but I wouldnt recommend swapping haha

11. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

Like I said, I've done this plenty of times with no "automatic plan switches" from AT&T. I'm currently doing it now using a Blackberry Bold 9700 on my plan, with the associated BB plan, and even when I throw the SIM into my 3GS for a week or so at a time, there is no automatic plan change. The way the data plans work is the same, it's just that the BB one is provisioned to also work with the BIS servers. AT&T doesn't really care as long as they are still getting the appropriate fees from you each month (i.e., the plans are equal in cost). When they DO care is when you are paying for a lower cost plan (i.e., the non smartphone Media Net plan), but actually using a smartphone. Then they will change your plan.

12. staccato83 macrumors 6502a

staccato83

Just curious, how long have you been doing this? I also want to purchase a 9700 and just switch sims every other week or so.

13. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

I've been doing it recently since the first day of the Bold 9700 release, so about two months. I did it previously for over a year when I had my first Bold 9000 and my iPhone 3G and 3GS.

14. rhs7787 macrumors member

I switched to the blackberry data plan a few weeks ago and for fun I wanted to see if it worked with my iphone. I popped my SIM into the iphone and it kept telling me I needed to have a data plan on my account. Are there different kinds of blackberry plans? I got the one thats $30/month.

15. The Final Cut macrumors 6502

I would suggest you reconsider. I went from iPhone to BlackBerry and I can't say I was the least bit satisfied. The blackberry feels antique compared the iPhones design, OS, and touchscreen. I was like "yeah a real keyboard", but it was kind of small and not worth making the switch for.

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

+1

I only lasted a couple of days when I picked up the 9000. The iPhone experience is just much more enjoyable. Unless you need it for instant email (you said you didn't) I don't see it lasting long.