Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jota73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 19, 2006
South America
Ok, I bought and replaced my old 8120 BB truth is my second iphone... but has anyone noticed some major problems comparing them to blackberry?

1. Iphone does not let you invite people to a calendar event (wow!! a Must have feature!
2. If you are surfing the web no incoming calls will be accepted
3. If you are downloading messages (sync) no incoming calls will be accepted
4. You can not FW SMS messages

I know that are some features that you have previously talked, but lets be serious here...if Apple wants to compete with blackberry (Corporative) it would have to fix at least the listed features....

I do not want to compare iphone vs blackberry, but the 4 items makes BB one of the best corporate phones in the market..

what are your opinions?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Ok, I bought and replaced my old 8120 BB truth is my second iphone... but has anyone noticed some major problems comparing them to blackberry?

1. Iphone does not let you invite people to a calendar event (wow!! a Must have feature!

Already discussed at length here.

Are you on EDGE? If so, then this is a byproduct of the network actually. This does not happen on 3G.

4. You can not FW SMS messages

Already discussed at length here.

I know that are some features that you have previously talked, but lets be serious here...if Apple wants to compete with blackberry (Corporative) it would have to fix at least the listed features....

So return your iPhone and go back to your Blackberry.

I do not want to compare iphone vs blackberry

You just did.

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands

Anyone can confirm if that's true? Cause that would be bad! I never actually been called doing those things, but I always assumed it was possible...

izibo

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2004
Anyone can confirm if that's true? Cause that would be bad! I never actually been called doing those things, but I always assumed it was possible...

Yes, it is true on EDGE. However, that is due to the network, not the phone. If you are surfing with a blackberry on EDGE calls will go to voicemail.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
it is true. ALL gsm phones connected to GPRS or EDGE can only have one active connection (ie data OR phone) at one time, not both
however, when connected to 3G you can call and browse at the same time

ishopukisfake

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
Blackberry seems to be a well tested stalwart in terms of smartphones. Lots of business people will probably stick to it for functionality. iphone has wrinkles to iron out and is doing so with the firmware updates. iphone is like a revolutionary toy, with glitches that will eventually be sorted. you can tell from the new blackberry it is moving in the direction of iphones aesthetic innovation, as are all other phones on the market.
If I was using a phone for heavy duty business management and interaction, i can understand how it would be annoying to have the glitches still being ironed out in the iphone (although I haven't noticed many)
iphone is an ipod first and a phone in development, whereas other smartphones are more tailored and robust.
Once apple gets the hand of the phone and signal quality part the iphone will dominate the market i think.

pyrodex

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Coming from a BB user to a new iPhone 3G I found a few key features which were missing and I thought to myself why wouldn't apple think of this...

1) Customizable tones for SMS/Mail/Calendar, some people are harder of hearing the default ones suck.
2) Multiple tone levels for hostler or even varying levels of vibrations/playing of the tone

rioja

macrumors regular
May 19, 2008
Coming from a BB user to a new iPhone 3G I found a few key features which were missing and I thought to myself why wouldn't apple think of this...

1) Customizable tones for SMS/Mail/Calendar, some people are harder of hearing the default ones suck.
2) Multiple tone levels for hostler or even varying levels of vibrations/playing of the tone

Finally, 2 legitimate gripes. They really need to allow people to customize the sounds and the vibration lacks strength.

Other than that, I wouldn't return to BB... no need with Exchange on the iPhone.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
has anyone noticed some major problems comparing them to blackberry?

No problems, but there are major differences. The first BlackBerry was a two way pager and took five years to become what you know now (that was six years ago) and only color for the last three years. I'm glad the iPhone is what it is and not Apple's attempt to make another Blackberry. Give it some time and understand the capabilities before you buy.

Maagus

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007
Czech republic

In my experience the call has priority over data. When I was browsing using GPRS the data connection has always been terminated because of incoming phone call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.