Blackberry8830 or iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryan5505, Oct 24, 2007.

1. Ryan5505 macrumors regular

I purchased a new 8830 for the reason that Verizon has a great network for my location. The 3G network is fast, always a strong signal, usually good customer service, and I was already a customer.

Now I do not know if I made the best choice. Web pages are not as beautiful as the iPhone, but they are ok using the opera browser. It does sync with my powerbook, but sometimes contacts a duplicated on the phone. No video capabilities. Also an echo is sometimes an issues for me on the handset. The verizon rep did inform me I could switch to the pearl 8130 on Nov 1 (debut day) since I can change within 30 days. Now as for the IPhone ATT is not a great network. When I call others at the office it often sounds like a computer generated voice. In san francisco a guy I work with was usung his iPhone and it was just horrible.

Should I just stick it out with a verizon blackberry until a new iPhone is realesed or keep verizon for another year? If someone made the switch in North Carolina from verizon to an IPhone I would like to hear your results.

2. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

Carrier coverage is completely dependent on location. In my location I get better coverage with ATT than VZW. Take advantage of buyers remorse period by getting a phone and testing coverage in your location. If you find it isn't what you need, then return and cancel before the 14 days is up. You can even get a subsized phone to test..then buy iphone later if coverage works for you.

3. dodonutter macrumors regular

I hate to say it but posting that in an iPhone forum on a Mac website isn't exactly the place you will get balanced and unbiased advice.

Don't want to come across as rude or anything but it seems to me like your after reasurance that you want an iPhone and you want to be pursuaded to get one. personally i can't talk as i'm in the UK and haven't got one plus i have never used a blackberry so even when i do get one i won't really be able to give you an unbiased opinion.

I think you have to look at the networks and see which one gives you the better service and if AT&T isn't that network ask yourself if the network 'downgrade' is worth it for a phone your really want.

We don't have much issue of coverage here in the UK as its a tiny country but personally if i was in your position i would look at the way you used your phone. If you use it for heavy emailing and as a business tool then the iPhone may not be for you as the mail progrmm isn't as powerful as the BB one even if it is prettier (got this is from reading forum posts here rather than experience obviously). If your in my position where you have only ever recieved 4 emails on your phone as its such a pain in the @ss and you only use it for calls and texts then its an upgrade and the only thing to look at is the cost and the fact it is a 1.0 device so has bugs.

I may have just spouted a load of rubbish but it may help you!

4. ghostshadow777 macrumors member

ghostshadow777

iPhone has no video capabilities either, if that's one of your "wants." BB is a great for emails, particularly business users. iPhone, however, hands down, the best phone on the market right now and it does so many things so well.

5. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Here is my personal response, VZW is an outstanding carrier and CS support that is top rated, and I mean top rated ...
    They are NOT 3G, they are EVDO rev 1 or 2

IF you want crippled devices than stay with them, from my experience with them there after your MONEY and you and only YOU can way that out for yourself. Youe BB is crippled in many ways.

I personally do NOT see the iPhone as a business solid device, if its NOT for business and purely for pleasure, than you have to figure that out on your own.

Good Luck

6. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

It also depends on why you got a BB. If you have BB Server at work or need "instant" email pushed to you more frequently than every 15 min. Me? I switched from a Sprint Q where I had EVDO speed and push email and I'd never go back. Sure I've love those elements on the iPhone, but everything else is so much better, more cohesive, that everything else seems like a phone built by committee now...

BTW - I do use my iPhone as a business device (small business)

7. Ryan5505 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank You

Thank you everyone who responded. I do use the blackberry for work purposes email primarily. I work for a marketing agency that is 80% mac, so as soon as the iPhones were on the market we had them in the office. We also do not use the bb enterprise software.

I believe I am going to stay with verizon only b/c the service for me is great. I also travel and rarely loose signal in new places. Like I said in San Francisco where I thought the iPhone would step up, the at&t service was not as clear on my colleagues phone. We were attending Dreamforce and the Moscone Center. One funny event was the Cisco CEO demonstrating an application with someone else, the CEO asked the other person while on stage, "is that a Cisco iPhone or a apple iPhone"

I do have 30 days to trade the 8830 for a different one (nov 11), I may switch to the pearl which I was told by the rep is out nov 1st. there is also the LG Voyager which many are calling the iPhone Killer. Many may think I have buyers remorse but the phone is used phone business so it is expensed I just want to have a great smart-phone. Others at my office love the iphone, but complain that it is not an email powerhouse. This is something we do depend on all day with 50-60 business emails and phone calls.

I would love to see the second generation of iPhones, maybe January at Mac world?