Blackbook 2.16 Core 2 Duo Memory problem, or is it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by joshpascoe, Aug 5, 2009.

1. joshpascoe macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum, tried searching around and didn't find anything that matched my problem so I hope that I'm posting this in the right place.

I bought my Blackbook in October 2007, just before those new chipsets came out, I think they were called Santa Rosa or something.... Oh well that's how it goes with Apple.

Anyway, my Mac came with 1GB of ram at the time, since I've upgraded to 3GB (1x1GB and 1x2GB) yet for some reason the computer only recognizes 2GB total (2x1GB). I bought the upgraded memory from Futureshop, but I can't remember the brand.

Is this memory limitation a limitation of the computer or a problem with the memory? It doesn't really matter to me much, but this is a Core 2 Duo Macbook and I thought that they could support up to 3.3GB of memory (4GB installed, 3.3GB visible) It was my understanding that only the Core Duo Macbooks had the 2GB memory limitation. I've attached a photo of the 'About This Mac' screen for the specs.

If anybody knows the answer I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. matthewscott661 macrumors 6502

matthewscott661

According to the crucial website (i followed the ad on this page) you model does only support 2GB. Sorry.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

That MacBook (rev. C Blackbook) should support up to 3.3GB of RAM according to our guide here:
    http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook

Open System Profiler and click Memory in the left column. Tell us what that says.

You should have the higher capacity RAM chip in bank 0, and the lower one in bank 1. Here's mine:

Attached Files:

• ram.png
      ram.png
      File size:
      17.5 KB
      Views:
  4. joshpascoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. Ya, I took a look at the site's guide before posting which is why I'm confused. I'm fairly sure that I have the smaller chip in the first slot and the larger one in the second. That could be what's causing it. I just have to find one of those little screw drivers to get at the memory slots. Just moved so that might be a bit of a challenge. I don't know by the attached pics if there's anyway of telling which motherboard I have is there? If I have the same motherboard as you but the chips are switched than that should be the only problem. That or I have bad ram, but half working? That's weird.

Attached Files:

5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

The shop probably just sent you a 1gb stick by mistake. RAM will never just "half-work". It either does or doesn't.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I would have to agree. I've never heard to half-working RAM -- typically it does or it doesn't.

When you do find your screwdriver you can still try swapping the RAM chips in their slots. When you do this, have a close look and see what the capacity of each one is. They should have identifying stickers.

7. monkey86 macrumors 6502

monkey86

what you need to do is go here - http://support.apple.com/specs/ type in your serial number and it will tell you how much your mac can support.

check the ram serial number and call/email the company you bought it from find out how much it is.

ram in apple computers is always better bought in matched pairs, you will need to make sure you have the same clock speed of ram otherwise it will ignore one of the sticks - sounds like you may have ordered the wrong type of ram :)