Blackbook 2.16ghz: 2GB of RAM or 3GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by elpollodiablo, Dec 10, 2007.

1. elpollodiablo macrumors newbie

So it appears that my recently purchased Blackbook (May of this year) is already slightly outdated--curses! The new 'books have the slightly faster processor and can address 4 gigs of system memory. Thanks Apple!

Anyway, I've been planning a memory upgrade for some time. I've got the standard 1GB/512x2 sticks that came with it, but I want to max out the memory in this thing. This generation of Macbooks can only address 3GB of memory (why, exactly? if Apple is so bout it bout it with the matched pairs, why limit the machine to a maximum amount of memory that cannot be matched!?). I can buy a 3GB upgrade kit (1GB stick and a 2GB stick) for relatively cheap; the 2GB upgrade kit (matched pair) is only like twenty dollars less. So here's my question: is the performance deficit brought on by using a mismatched pair even noticeable? Or do the benefits of that extra gig of memory outweigh whatever slight speed advantage there might be in have the matched pair? OWC's website makes the very convincing argument that there are more benefits to having the extra gig and the mismatched pair doesn't make a noticeable difference (http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/Tips/macbookcore23gb/macbookcore23gb.html).
    Then again, they're also trying to sell me the most RAM possible. Apparently the only noticeable loss in performance is in the graphic end of things... I don't game much, but I do play a little WoW now and then, and I'd rather the video performance not get any worse than it already is.
    So: do I save the twenty bucks and get the matched pair, rather than sacrifice what is apparently a very small amount of video performance? Or do I buy the whole 3GB to max out and never have to worry about another upgrade?

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Well the difference in cost between getting 3GB vs 4GB is about $20. If you are so set on saving $20 then I would ask why bother upgrading ram in the first place? I would NEVER run mismatched sticks in my machine where dual channel can be used... I don't care what people say it DOES make a difference. Here is VERY good RAM, Tannscend 2GB 667 PC5300, that is less than $40 per 2GB stick. A 1GB stick is about $18.99.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820208323

3. elpollodiablo thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not "so set on saving $20," thanks. I was merely pointing out that in addition to the 2GB being a matched pair, it was $20 less than the 3GB upgrade.
    As much as I respect your use of capital letters, is there any particular reason you'd NEVER run mismatched sticks? The performance numbers indicate that there's very little difference when it comes to graphic output running two mismatched sticks as opposed to two matched ones. In all the breakdowns listed on that page I linked to, the 3GB config performed much faster when it came to intensive application workload, but was about .3 FPS worse off than the matched 2GB config when it came to playing Halo. Is that really the worst drawback to a mismatched pair?

4. whitemac2 macrumors member

i have a macbook october of last year, and i dont think of it as out dated. as mine is the so called 1st gen however its only a year old! i feel you on always feeling like the best at the time is now second or 3rd best

5. elpollodiablo thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's a part of the modern condition. I don't seriously think of this thing as outdated. That won't happen until the new solid state HD slim models come out in a few months.
    Although I would like to be able to just run the 4GB matched sticks.

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Trying to keep up with the latest technology only leads to unhappiness and empty bank accounts. However, this is something we've all got to learn for ourselves. Heck, I'm still learning it...slowly.