Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Had to decide which was the better deal today for a friend at BB. They had a Blackbook, 2.4 ghz with 2gb ram and the 250 gig hard drive there as an open item. Ended up purchasing this one for $1079.

Our only other option was the new low-end white Macbook, we would have gotten it for $949. (Shown below)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9107398&st=macbook&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218024601724

My question, did we make the right decision? I originally thought so, but now I'm not so sure. The computer probably won't have any heavy use (photoshop, etc..), and more than likely won't use the extra hard drive space..but it seemed like the right move at the time just for longevity.

What do you guys think? Thanks for any help!

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Had to decide which was the better deal today for a friend at BB. They had a Blackbook, 2.4 ghz with 2gb ram and the 250 gig hard drive there as an open item. Ended up purchasing this one for $1079.

Our only other option was the new low-end white Macbook, we would have gotten it for $949. (Shown below)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...cbook&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218024601724

My question, did we make the right decision? I originally thought so, but now I'm not so sure. The computer probably won't have any heavy use (photoshop, etc..), and more than likely won't use the extra hard drive space..but it seemed like the right move at the time just for longevity.

What do you guys think? Thanks for any help!

On the cosmetic front, I love the Black MacBook they're gonna be a classic soon! If i had the opportunity to pic one up now! I would.
I love the matte finish on them, you won't get annoying finger prints showing all over it, unlike the white version. It's like this, the white one will remain available for some time but the Black ones are becoming rare!! Also.. the Black MacBook is a 2.4Ghz, the lowend MacBook Whit is only a 2.1. On both, the memory can be upgraded to a maximum of 4Gb and the HD is upgradable too!

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Well, CPU and RAM's speed are a little different.

2.1GHz 1066MHz on the WhiteBook's

vs.

2.4GHz 800MHz on the BlackBook's

Which should make the BlackBook and Whitebook's CPU difference minimal at best.

Same with ram: DDR3 1066MHz on WhiteBook's vs. DDR2 667MHz or 800MHz (upgraded) on BlackBooks.

Overall, the performance difference is minimal. And the rarity of BlackBook's since it's been discontinued a little earlier, and it was a more expensive model; HECK YES!

If I had to choose between the New Whitebooks and the old BlackBooks. I'd go with the old BlackBooks :)

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Yeah, I noticed after the purchase just how nice the Blackbook is in person. But from what it sounds like - it may not have been worth the extra $~120

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Well, CPU and RAM's speed are a little different.

2.1GHz 1066MHz on the WhiteBook's

vs.

2.4GHz 800MHz on the BlackBook's

Which should make the BlackBook and Whitebook's CPU difference minimal at best.

Same with ram: DDR3 1066MHz on WhiteBook's vs. DDR2 667MHz or 800MHz (upgraded) on BlackBooks.

Overall, the performance difference is minimal. And the rarity of BlackBook's since it's been discontinued a little earlier, and it was a more expensive model; HECK YES!

If I had to choose between the New Whitebooks and the old BlackBooks. I'd go with the old BlackBooks :)

Sorry, but your wrong. I think your comparing it with the Unibody MacBook

• 2.1GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed
  • 800MHz frontside bus
  • 1GB (two 512MB SO-DIMMs) or 2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM; two SO-DIMM slots support up to 4GB

MacBook White Specs

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Sorry, but your wrong. I think your comparing it with the Unibody MacBook

[/LIST]

MacBook White Specs

Yeah - that's the way it appears to me as well. Let me put it this way..with color aside, will the speed differences be noticeable or beneficial to the average user?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Yeah - that's the way it appears to me as well. Let me put it this way..with color aside, will the speed differences be noticeable or beneficial to the average user?

Depends what your trying to run, application wise. Your talking 300Mhz between the two!! I would say the 2.4 would have a longer serviceable life, cause there's must a hint more power under the bonnet. The saving between the two ain't that much considering what you can actually buy with $100 those days.

Besides, on the White MacBook. Hairline scratches are really annoying in my honest opinion, the reflections from lights just highlight them!! Fairly often, I find myself constantly trying to polish them out!! I even brought some Fineglass Cort but it doesn't do much but make it more shiny! ><

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
Depends what your trying to run, application wise. Your talking 300Mhz between the two!! I would say the 2.4 would have a longer serviceable life, cause there's must a hint more power under the bonnet. The saving between the two ain't that much considering what you can actually buy with $100 those days.

Besides, on the White MacBook. Hairline scratches are really annoying in my honest opinion, the reflections from lights just highlight them!! Fairly often, I find myself constantly trying to polish them out!! I even brought some Fineglass Cort but it doesn't do much but make it more shiny! ><

Probably for the most part just web browsing, Ichat, iphoto, itunes, etc.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Probably for the most part just web browsing, Ichat, iphoto, itunes, etc.

I would of thought, since the video card in those MacBook is part of the chipset, having a faster CPU would make some difference. I'm guessing, You might notice something in iPhoto (apple is still updating the application) and in iChat when using video, but not much.

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
I would of thought, since the video card in those MacBook is part of the chipset, having a faster CPU would make some difference. I'm guessing, You might notice something in iPhoto (apple is still updating the application) and in iChat when using video, but not much.

Ok. I'm sure too that down the line Blackbooks will have higher resale value for sure. This may help justify the difference. So far it sounds like there may be some small speed differences for normal tasks (web browsing, etc) since the processor is faster in the Blackbook. i'm just not sure if it justifies the difference in price..

Thanks for your help btw.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
For 100$ you've got faster CPU, twice the RAM, more HD space and potentially better resale value (black MBs are less wide-spread than white). You also don't have to clean the black MB every month to keep the dirt away >>

msw123307

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2007
For 100$ you've got faster CPU, twice the RAM, more HD space and potentially better resale value (black MBs are less wide-spread than white). You also don't have to clean the black MB every month to keep the dirt away >>

when you put it that way, it seems like a no-brainer. thanks.

while i'm asking questions, can someone show me where my friend can purchase ram for this black macbook? he wants to max out the ram to 4 gb.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.