BlackBook 2.4 or aluminum MacBook 2.0?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ThomasJL, Oct 31, 2008.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

With the educational discount, a brand new plastic black MacBook 2.4 is $50 less than the aluminum MacBook 2.0. $50 is not a big deal to me.

Which should I buy? Here are some facts about me:

• I already have 4GB Crucial brand RAM that will only work in the plastic black MacBook. I can't afford the $140 or so to expand the aluminum MacBook's memory to 4GB.

• When at home, I always use a 24" Samsung external LCD display at 1920 x 1200 resoultion, which is the maximum resolution that plastic MacBooks are capable of handling. Will the new graphics card on the aluminum MacBook run this display better?

• I don't play any games. But I do watch a lot of YouTube and use Skype with a top-of-the line Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro (my friend who I chat with uses the the exact same camera). Will my Skype experience be better with the aluminum MacBook?

• During my free time at school, I would like to go into a private study room and use Rosetta Stone to study a foreign language. The audio on the aluminum MacBook is a little better than the BlackBook.

• I have a Merom/Santa Rosa white MacBook 2.2 that I'm giving to my parents, but I'm keeping the Hitachi 7200RPM 200GB internal hard drive running 10.5.5. I can just insert this into a BlackBook, and it will automatically work perfectly without me having to reinstall anything. It will not work on the aluminum MacBook unless I reinstall Leopard and all my applications (aluminum MacBooks have a special unreleased build of 10.5.5). This would be a major hassle for me, as I only do clean installs (aka "Erase and Install") because I don't like any residue of previous OS installations since they inevitably decrease performance.

• The next MacBook I will purchase will only be when Nehalem and Calpella (or an Nvidia equivalent of Calpella) is released.

• While I am very disappointed that Apple killed FireWire from the 13" MacBook line, I have dual-interface (FireWire and USB 2.0) external hard drives and DVD/CD burners that I prefer to use to save wear and tear on my laptop.

• I prefer the LED displays on the aluminum MacBook.

• I prefer the better WiFi reception of plastic MacBooks, as I am on a college campus everyday. All side-by-side comparisons performed by tech journalists have proved that plastic MacBooks get far better WiFi reception than the new aluminum MacBooks.

• I will be attending business school next year, and the black MacBook looks more business-like and "executive"-like than my white MacBook. I need a laptop that appears understated and "professional"-looking.

What do you think of all this? All opinions are welcome. Thank you in advance for any help! :)

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Do black - it's a fantastic deal right now. You may even be able to get it cheaper at the refurb store than the ed store.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The question I ask everyone is - what in the world do you do that needs 4GB RAM? My computers both have 2GB and this is MORE than enough for what I want to do, and my needs are pretty intensive.

Silver MacBook is a great choice, it's much better constructed, although the looks are hideous.

4. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I think the black one is perfect for you.

- I use SKYPE and watch a lot of videos(even HD) on my blackbook on a daily basis. It works great.

- Sure, the sound is slightly better on the alum. MB but that's about it.

- The BlackBook looks a LOT more professional IMO and it always draws heads when I pull it out in class. The shining Apple logo = heads turning.

- Better Wifi reception will be a pretty big advantage of you when on campus

- Faster processor, bigger HDD, more RAM.

Why not?

5. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

For some reason, I was unable to edit the last post, so in addition:

- Yeah the LED is also a pretty big advantage. It's an appreciable difference.

- I have my MB hooked up to a 22" Samsung and it works perfectly.

6. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    zactly, I just pulled the trigger on a new 2.4 BMB, just like I did with the 2.2, when the 2.4's came out, I LOVE my 2.2, the 2.4 was for my wife. I just adore the BMB's, for me they are the perfect computer;):apple::apple::apple:

7. Son of Matrix macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

that's very nice of you. most people just give their partner their old macbook while take the newer macbook...u are indeed one in a million.

8. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd echo most of the previous posters in suggesting the black MB. It's an excellent computer, and a very good deal is offered. I have never met anyone who was unhappy with a black MB. However, whichever computer you choose, you'll still have a great computer.
    Cheers and good luck

9. Son of Matrix macrumors regular

Son of Matrix

hmm..so there are unhappy white MB owners? the old black MB and the old whie MB difference is just the hard drive right? Internally both should be the same right?

10. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

I have a blackbook and I love it. That said, if I was purchasing today I would probably opt for the new model. I like the look of the aluminum and it seems better constructed, no worries about palmrest cracks and oil stain, the new trackpad is really nice, LED screens are an improvement as well, and overall I think they just look sexier, though that's a matter of opinion of course. Up to you!

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not in terms of the product itself, no, of course not. Both were and are excellent computers. The price difference between them reflected a slightly higher spec, and a more desirable aesthetic with the black, Apple's choice, and consumer response. Basically, the black was more popular/fashionable. However, the white MB offered by far the best value for money.

Cheers

12. highjumppudding macrumors 6502

highjumppudding

if you plan to do any graphic work or games, the new one is better. also, keep in mind the missing firewire on the new machine.