Blackbook 2006 Trackpad Friction..

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by esadb, Jul 10, 2010.

1. esadb macrumors 65816

esadb

Ive noticed why sometimes i dont like to use my macbook its due to the friction on the trackpad itself it seems as its worn..

I adjusted the mouse sensitivity and it moves quick and all but there is just a lot of friction between my finger and the trackpad itself.

Can any of you guys recommend a fix for this?

Thanks in advance:D

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Is your finger sweaty?

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The cause is that your fingerprints act like sandpaper and over time wear the surface smooth. A company called PowerSupport makes films (stickers) that go on the track pad to revitalize it. Last I checked they don't make it anymore. But you might be able to find it other places. Another thing that I've done to other laptops is use fine sandpaper and rough up the pad a bit, then take a moist paper towel and wipe off the left over dust.

4. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Well yah their a bit moist, but it happens too when their just dry.

Really? Sandpaper eh?

Its just that sometimes i dont want to use the mac because of the feel and the way the entire trackpad feels and it almost seems like a hassle guiding the pointer and clicking on things.

Yah i thought of like a sticker thing myself and was wondering if like the iphone screen protector type deal would work?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If your finger isn't perfectly smooth, ie; glass, it will wear down anything. You can tell if you need a sticker if by feeling the outer edges of the pad then feeling the inner centre part. If the outer edges feel nicer and easier to use then the centre part. Then you should get a sticker.

I don't think an iPhone screen cover would work. Those stick on by static cling. The stickers stick on by silicon glue or some other kind of adhesive. You could try getting a sticker for a Macbook Pro from PowerSupport and just cutting it down to fit.

6. esadb thread starter macrumors 65816

esadb

Well i put some vasline on it a bit and it seemed to have improved it.

I just cant get myself 13$ + shipping for that sticker. I even checked ebay but without any success.

7. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If it's the PowerSupport stickers, you get two in the package. They last a long time. Mine's going on it's third year in August and it's lasting longer than the bare track pad.