blackbook 2007

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 76ShovelHead, Sep 20, 2014.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

just snagged a used 2007 macbook off Amazon for $120. core2 2ghz and GMA x3100. I briefly owned a white unibody but promptly returned it last year when I noticed a few issues with the logic board. Since then I've been making due with our hackintoshes and my I book g4. The ibook needs a new hdd and battery, so when I saw this I decided to just go for it. Kinda excited, anybody know the latest OS that will run on this machine??

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

The 2007 models will only run up to OS X Lion (10.7) sadly, due to the Intel GMA card.

However, I much prefer Snow Leopard on any model with an Intel GMA GPU. It runs cooler and smoother because it uses less GPU power. Also if it has 2GB of RAM Snow Leopard will run much smoother. If you've got 4GB in there, it won't be as big of a deal to run Lion.

Just depends on what features you need. If you have certain Apps that need 10.7 or need iCloud, then go with Lion. If not, Snow Leopard is faster and runs Office 2011, Chrome/Firefox, iTunes, and more just fine still.

3. realitydroid macrumors newbie

I run Lion on my 2008 White Macbook. It runs pretty well, in my opinion. Although, it is also running on 3GB of ram instead of 2 (couldn't get it to even boot with 4). Lion seems to have better application support at the moment, which is why I run it.

But, at the end of the day, it all depends on what you want to do with it. SL should work just fine.

4. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Well, the way I look at it is, I was looking into purchasing a new battery and msata ssd for my iBook G4 1.42 Ghz. But at $120 dollars I couldn't pass it up, even with the aforementioned upgrades I understand the machine would still suffer some significant lag especially while trying to complete coursework for college. For about the same price I will now have a Core 2 Duo and the ability to run a more modern OS than Leopard.

However, Lion IMO is still pretty outdated. I've been researching MLPostFacto and even reading up on Yosemite (which looks like it doesn't even stand a chance of running lol).

So that leaves me scratching my head about installing a mid 2009 logic board (can be bought off ebay for $70) and with a little modification to the case I will be able to run Yosemite at launch. Just not sure if the effort is worth it.

5. realitydroid macrumors newbie

Lion may be out of date in terms of features and some software compatibility. But, I am happily running Firefox, Chrome, and Spotify at their latest versions on Lion. So, as of now, I couldn't justify replacing the logic board. Granted, that's just me. And this is my first Mac, so I find it to be a great introduction until I am able to get my hands on a newer one.

6. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Good to know these softwares are still up-to-date on Lion. Though I'm kinda hoping it comes with Snow Leopard, I never really got to use it (10.7 and onward fully supported my "machine") and I hear Snow Leopard was the best.

Does anybody know if Lion is a free upgrade on the MAS?

I don't really want to tear the device apart to install a new logic board, but I want to try Yosemite despite that I will miss the 3D dock. My current machine's integrated HD 4600 isn't playing nicely so I may have to stay put at Mavericks.