blackbook 250gb 4gb ram or refurbished MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stryfe137, Jan 17, 2008.

1. stryfe137 macrumors newbie

i'm trying to decide which laptop i should get from the topic stated but i'm a little unsure.

the most important things to me are:
    -battery life
    -longevity (5 yrs.)
    -work
    -portabilty

blackbook advantages:
    -small footprint
    -larger internal storage (i have a large music library which i would like to carry with me; w/ MBP I would have to carry an portable hard drive which i would have to buy a little later)
    -4gb of addressable memory (for boot camp + parallels for work)

macbook pro advantages:
    -backlit keyboard
    -led non-glossy screen
    -gaming (not a hard core gamer but i'd like to pick up a modern game without having to worry about specs)

which one do you think i should get?

2. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

The one thing you haven't talked about is screen resolution which is higher on the MBP - are you gonna have a lot of windows open at once? Cos it could make a difference.

Exactly how important is gaming to you and how often do you play? Because from that statement the MBP is the ONLY option you have. The MacBook graphics just can't cut it for any game that requires half decent graphics.

If you can forego the gaming (buy yourself a 360 or PS3) then it sounds like a Blacbook would be more suited to your needs and would be more portable as well. Plus as you said the money saved would go towards a larger hard disk drive and more RAM. Not sure how much extra battery life you'd get from the MacBook though as the 15" MBP does use a LED screen but on the other hand it's screen is bigger and graphics card would probably use more power.

Even with the lower resolution you would still have Spaces which would kind of make up for it and you could always connect it up to a 24" monitor if you needed the extra space. In terms of longevity, they're both pretty much the same, it's only the graphics card that really sets them apart.

Hope that helps! :)