Blackbook (4,1), Optibay Caddy, SSD, and an XT...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by howman66, Mar 16, 2011.

1. howman66 macrumors newbie

I know, another thread on Optibay caddys and how to setup two drives on a MacBook.

I searched all the threads, and everything was clear as mud, so, maybe, maybe this may help someone...

Running 10.6.6 and 4gb of RAM, and for some reason I thought it would be a good idea (re:cool) to set up a Optibay Caddy and a second drive. I bought MCE's drive and an Intel 120 GB XM-25 SSD.

The instructions that came from MCE did not cover the 4,1, so, I used the manual on ifixit (here: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/MacBook-Core-2-Duo-Optical-Drive-Replacement/518/1 ) and, it works, BUT, if you are going to do this, there is a bracket that has to be transferred from the old drive to the new Optibay drive caddy.

I put my Momentus XT (never a problem with it by the way) in the Optibay and the SSD in the HD slot, and I got lots of beach balls, and the XT would not always be recognized - so boot times ranged from 25 seconds to a minute and a half.

I then put the SSD in the optibay ad the XT back in the HD slot, made the caddy the boot drive, and it all works fine. No problems at all. Boot time is about 25 seconds.

Now, a couple of notes. When I did all this, I had to delete some files to get all my data onto my SSD...somewhere in the iTunes folder were my iPhone apps. As they got deleted, I had to re-install them on iTunes, not a big deal, but I cannot now sync my iPhone without loosing the photos on it. So, just a tip, if you are deleting or moving files, find that App Folder, and keep it where it is. Maybe more knowledgeable people can help here.

I also use SmartSleep (http://www.jinx.de/SmartSleep.html) to address any hibernation/sleep issues.

It all works fine. I think because the Opitbay is an ATA and not SATA, it might be a hair slower. Also, I think that the XT is not using the hybrid part because it is not the boot drive. But it all works, and, so, no harm no foul perhaps, minus the cash laid out that could have been better spent on the family.

In hindsight, I am not sure if it was worth it. I like to tinker, and, I did not break anything, so, it was fun. Honestly, I felt that the XT alone was just as quick, but I like that the SSD will, in theory, last a very, very long time. And, it is with hope that this 4,1 will last a long time too - too hard to keep up with the Jones.

One last thing, it seems as though the two drives will boot up either as disk0 or disk 1 (Terminal> diskutil list). Sometimes the SSD is disk0, sometimes it is disk1.

Hope this may help other 4,1 owners out there.

Thanks,
    Howard

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

3. howman66 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are right.

I should have let it be.

Next time, I'll try to fix stuff that is broken rather than to try to fix stuff that works.

4. joehahn macrumors regular

I can't fault you for doing it to a black book though! I would love to have an all black computer...