Blackbook advice & opinions, please.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Scottological, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Scottological macrumors member

Questions for all you Blackbook owners...

So my 15" PowerBook G4 has lived a long, hard life, but it's time to put her out to pasture. I was considering the new MB's but after playing with them in the store and in the wild (a friend has one), I've decided the screen just isn't what I need it to be. So now I have a decision to make: get a classic MBP and live with the larger form factor, or get a Blackbook, 2.4 Ghz / 250 HHD. (I considered the Air, but it just doesn't have the connectivity and muscle I'm looking for.)

Most of the time I'll have it hooked up to a 20" monitor, but I do travel a lot and will need to use the thing in various places and lighting conditions, from airports to bars. I'd like to be able to edit videos of the kids, watch YouTube videos, and watch movies on the plane.

Thus a few questions:

1) I've seen the monitor on the new/old white MB's still in the Apple stores and find the screens adequate for my needs (but hardly fantastic.) Are the Blackbooks comparable to these?

2) How was build quality on the last generation of the Blackbooks? Do they develop shiny spots that can't be wiped off where your wrists touch the plastic? Do they crack?

3) How durable are the Blackbooks? I know the Classic MBP is fairly delicate.

4) How is watching video on them? I'm not a gamer, so I don't really care about how many fps on WoW or anything, but I just want to know if I'll be able to watch several flash videos in succession (or even concurrently) without stuttering, slowdowns, etc?

5) How is real world battery life?

Thanks to all the Blackbook owners for your input...

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

1. They are the same screen.

2. Shiny spots easily wipe off and I don't have a problem with it anyways. Crack? They changed the material (plastic) this year. I don't treat mine with care and no cracks. I had the first Blackbook and no cracks either. I also carry it to work, school and play everywhere.

3. Both of mine have been extremely durable. I love them.

4. I watch movies, multiple youtube videos, do photography/video work on it and it works well.

5. I get about 4 hours and 30 minutes with BT on, wireless on, and brightness set at 75%.

As I said, I love my Blackbook.