Blackbook Broken screen

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LuvKaya, Jun 8, 2012.

1. LuvKaya macrumors member

You guys helped me before...
    My daughters blackbook screen is broke. Can you tell me what to do to fix it?

Attached Files:

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

The damage looks fairly severe. More than just a busted LCD screen. Might consider time to upgrade and sell the old one for parts.

3. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

If you are not bad at fixing things yourself, check on eBay for a replacement screen.

Apple is probably going to charge more for that than the laptop is worth.

A friend of mine broke his old white macbook screen once, we got a new one on ebay and it was all around an hour or two to fix.

iFixit is your friend :)

----------

Also a good idea! :)

4. LuvKaya thread starter macrumors member

oh no. Thanks for responding!!!

She is a rising senior in high school. I needed this to last me two more years before upgrading. *sigh*

If it will cost more to repair then i will put the money into something new.

5. LuvKaya thread starter macrumors member

Update

Hi All :)

Just wanted to let you know.

I took it into the Apple store today. They are charging me $226 for new LCD screen.

They will also replace the bottom casing, keyboard and bezel for free. This was already done but since the bezel was broke they will do everything again since the casing is covered under warranty from the known defect.

He also told me that Apple will not work on the blackbook any more after August of this year because it will be 5 yrs---end of the cycle life.

6. LuvKaya, Jun 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012

LuvKaya thread starter macrumors member

Bad News/Good News

So since then, Apple has called me 3 times about something else they "found" that needed repaired :mad::mad:. Finally on the third call on Sunday, I said look. It must be user error and your tech can not fix it because the only thing wrong with it was the screen when I bought it in.

Well today they called me to ask would I mind if they transferred all of the data off of my BlackBook to a brand new MacBook air or MacBook Pro- my choice- free of charge.:cool:

I'm still kinda upset because I loved that black MacBook- it was our first Mac and it does have sentimental value to us :(. The store said I will NOT get the BlackBook back once they do the transfer.

What do you guys think? I'm leaning towards the MacBook Pro.:D

7. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

Luuuuuucky! Get the Pro; it'll last longer for your family. The Air is a great notebook though too, but if you want more versatility, the Pro will help you out more.

8. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Do you mean free of charge AFTER the repair charge of $2xx, or do you mean since they botched the repair of the blackbook they're giving you a new laptop for free?

Either way, awesome deal. I am just curious how awesome a deal they decided to give you.

9. MasterMacBook macrumors member

Lucky man! Be cheeky and say considering the black book was the top of the line MacBook in its day, they should provide you with a top model 13" mbp :) hahaha

My late 2007 case is getting repaired as well, front cracking. I'm hoping I get a call just like yourself for a free upgrade!!!

10. MasterMacBook macrumors member

Just got mine back. The front bezel (case) got replaced because of the 2 cracks and I think they gave me a brand new fresh keyboard. Because it was spotless and mine was dirty, not bad, but deffintiely dirty haha. And I dont think they would of wasted time cleaning it...

So yay:)

Next up is 6gb ram and a 120gb ssd and im set for another 5 years ;)