Blackbook case Vs Whitebook case

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GUILTIE, May 11, 2008.

1. GUILTIE macrumors regular

I'm trying to deciede which apple notebook to get and i was wondering if the blackbook case cracks less because i hqvent seen any posts about it having trouble. Is there any benefit to the black case in terms of durability? Also are there any coloration problems like how the white book turns yellowish?

2. EmptyCalm macrumors member

Hey man I'm the same as you except I'm waiting for my mommy and daddy to buy me the machine. :D:(

I don't know about teh case but I've heard people talk about finger-prints and smudges stand out on the black MacBook.

3. GUILTIE thread starter macrumors regular

Haha yeah I'm only 15 but I'm working this summer to get it :)

Yeah I know the black case smudges, but I figure the fingerprints are better than cracks and the case turning another color (like yellow on the white macbook), I just need to clarify whether the Blackbook has the same problems. But hey, if we get aluminum Macbooks at WWDC (hopefully!), we won't have to deal with these problems!

4. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

i got white (see specs below). As long as i take good care of it, it hopefully won't turn another color. I always wash it maybe once a week with a cleaner to make it shiny and white :)

5. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Keep asking questions. Keeps things fresh around here.

6. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

Not if the same question keeps getting asked over and over. :)

The only one that can decide which is best for you is YOU yourself. Both have their benefits as well as their drawbacks. I hated the greasy look of the Blackbook, the constant wiping down, so If I had to do it all over again I would get the White. But that is just my opinion.

7. potkettleblack macrumors newbie

Sure, but the OP is asking a more specific question. Does the black case crack less often than the white case (not just scratching, but cracking)?

8. GUILTIE thread starter macrumors regular

All of those are great, but my question is more specific. It's not about your opinion White-Black, but the facts and accounts from people who own either color and their thoughts, specifically regarding the Blackbook and how its case holds up.

9. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I had my white one 10 months with no problems. The top has a little stop bar that rests on the bottom when its closed. That's where they crack on the palm rest. I never shut mine hard, always nice and easy like a $1000 plastic toy. Well, I had a little bump under the trackpad since the day I got it, so I just recently had it replaced. I think it would have lasted forever.

10. urbanskywalker macrumors 6502

Anyone now if the new black MacBooks 2.4 ghz still have the cracking problem?

11. Natsu macrumors member

I'm in the same situation as you lol, i have to work over summer! not to mention about washing my dad's car every weekend. but then I get a blackbook :apple: before school starts next year. If we're lucky, they might do some upgrades with the led thing, multi touch trackpad, and the graphic card:D...

12. Natsu macrumors member

Answering your question, My cousin has a 2-3 year old whitebook. it's a bit yellow but not that noticeable. It lags a bit, sometimes... (1.83Ghz with 1 or 2g ram) she has to really clean her screen because they were all oily. But that was the old one, my uncle just got the new whitebook. It looks great, the best looking whitebook I've seen so far. It's really fast, never lag at all and it runs programs really fast too. But I'm still thinking of getting a blackbook cuz everyone I've came across so far was using white macbooks including my school's library laptop. My blackbook will never ever have any problem with cracks cuz im gonna treat it like as if It costs about a million bucks.

13. GUILTIE thread starter macrumors regular

That would be great! What I really want is Aluminum Body (no cracking or discoloration!), LED Screen and Matte. With that, I'd be happy :)

The lack of those is making me look at the Pro's, which is probably exactly what Apple wants us to do, haha.

14. Natsu macrumors member

I dont think they will make macbooks aluminum because they wanted to differentiate the mb and the mbp. The black and white colors are perfectly okay, but they should improve the case's material.

15. Laco macrumors 6502

i have had the white macbook since july.... After reading this thread i went to check if i had any cracks and i noticed one...its about an inch and the width of a hair...Im still very happy with my purchase though....i love the look of it....haha and everyone has it now...yesterday i was in a room with about a dozen people and 3 out of the 5 laptops in the room were white macbooks haha.

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Had a MB 2.16 White (Aug '07) "no crack" BlackBook 2.4 Penryn (Feb '08) "no crack" and MBA 1.6/80GB (Mar '08) "NO LONGER OWN IT" :cool:

17. Natsu macrumors member

why'd u sell it? could be useful

18. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The discoloration problem was only in some rev. A models. Case cracks are mostly because of users applying much pressure when closing/transporting. Power cord burns are because of users twisting theirs like there's no tomorrow.

19. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I have the 2.4 MB White and love it, while you couldn't give me a black one.
    (Ok, give me one and I'll consider it).

No problems with it or my 5 year old ibook white-its still white!

20. Natsu macrumors member

What about heating up problems? could it be because there were many aps run at the same time? I dont want my macbook to melt lol

21. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

Just be careful with cracking, I really don't think there is any difference between a whitebook and blackbook in liklihood of cracking though.

The reason most whitebooks are mentioned is likely because more people own whitebooks + cracks are easily seen on whitebooks as opposed to a black case.

For heating, just make sure you give proper room for the fan to vent, and just use istat or something to monitor if you're very paranoid.

22. XP Defector macrumors 6502

This is such rubbish.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Very true! Being a former owner of an iBook G4 and now the proud owner of the new BlackBook, I can definitely tell you what the difference is case-wise. And that would be scratches. My iBook scratched very easily (same plastic as the white MB), but my BlackBook has yet to see a scratch. It looks great. Smudges and such come right off too, not a major problem.

24. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Overheating was an issue ONLY with certain rev. A models with badly applied thermal paste.

I have a rev. B whitebook, my dad had rev. B blackbook both without overheating issues (his did crack above the power light indicator but he was rather careless with closing the lid and also dropped it once)

I never heard any reports on post-rev.A Macbooks overheating either.

If attacking people without any facts to back them up isn't a sign of stupidity, than what is? :rolleyes: