blackbook connected to new ACD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by melissarae, Aug 19, 2009.

1. melissarae macrumors regular

melissarae

is it not possible to connect a brand new 24 inch LED ACD to a blackbook?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

probably possible. but you need to somehow connect a 'male' Mini Display Port to a 'female' Mini DVI port. i dont know which cables/adapters could do this.

3. melissarae thread starter macrumors regular

melissarae

yeah we are needing a female... but apparently they don't make these?! i have no idea... and i'm pretty upset that i didn't know that the new ACDs don't work with older mackbooks... i'm hoping i can return it i guess... or we might just give in and buy a new macbook. i'm so aggravated right now!

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

5. nitromullet macrumors member

nitromullet

This wouldn't work because the ACD has a male MDP plug. You'd end up with two male MDP plugs and no way to connect them. What you'd need to do what the OP wants to do is Mini-DVI to Female MDP, which doesn't currently exist AFAIK.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

So what exactly is the port on the ACD itself? It's not the same as the port on the side of the UMB and UMBP models? I thought the plug going in to the ACD was a male cable plug and the female receptacle was on the monitor?

If somebody could take a pic of ports ON the ACD, that would be great...

7. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

There aren't any. The MDP, USB audio, and MagSafe are all part of one cable that connects directly below the power supply. The only other ports are 3 downstream USB ports.

Attached Files:

8. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Oh.

THIS is where I was getting confused, thanks. I didn't realize that whole harness was permanently attached to the monitor! :eek: