Blackbook for $400.00 Good deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thewireman, Oct 29, 2008.

1. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

Hello, I just talked to the owner already when I found this deal on craigslist and like to get it. This is what she said -

"I am looking for a fast deal, you check the laptop, if you like it I get the cash.
    I am selling a used 2.2GHz Black Macbook laptop. It works great and is under warranty until November 19th 2008. It has 2GB of RAM, a 160GB hard drive, a superdrive, bluetooth, airport extreme, etc. It comes with the original adapter, cds and manuals. You can see the condition in the pictures. It has OS X Leopard 10.5 and has been freshly formatted! Please email me with any questions about specs or otherwise.
    The bundled software includes iPhoto, iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, Garage Band, Front Row, iLife 08 upgrade Disk, Fusion Disk, and MS Office 08.
    The computer is also equipped with AirPort Extreme (802.11g), Bluetooth 2.0 EDR, Gigabit Ethernet, a FireWire 400 port, two USB 2.0 ports, and optical digital audio in/out, along with video out capabilities (mini-DVI) that, for the first time on a consumer Apple notebook, officially supports an external display."

I thought this was a good deal for $400.00 for a newer Apple laptop! I'm goin to pick it up in person in couple of hours but want to know what everybody thinks about this. By the way, could I upgrade this to 4 GB of memory? Thanks!

2. macnvrbck macrumors regular

No kidding it has all that stuff... they all do!

If it's too good to be true... it probably is. I just got the Blackbook in my sig for $900. Scam!

3. X3n0 AcId macrumors regular

4. thewireman thread starter macrumors regular

thewireman

Yeah, thats what I thought, too good to be true...Thats why I'm goin in person, look at it very closely, bring my troubleshooter CD and make sure everything is fine.

5. mikethemovie macrumors member

Make sure you bring somebody with you!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like a scam..

6. maccam macrumors 6502a

maccam

Definitely a good deal, but do bring someone with you!

7. G5power macrumors 6502

A very similar ad is posted almost every day in several different cities Craigslist computer section.

When you reply you will undoubtedly get the standard I have just moved to "blah" and we can use this great 3rd party company. That will translate into you sending a money order or western union the $400 and never getting a MacBook or your money back.

No doubt the $400 will go a long ways for some guy in Rumania or Nigeria. But if you send me $400 I'll at least send you back a color picture of a MacBook. :)

8. thewireman thread starter macrumors regular

thewireman

Okay, Thanks guys...I'm not goin to risk my life for this. Screw that.

9. deadkenny macrumors regular

It's too much of a good deal. I sold my 2.0 Core Duo (not Core2Duo!) on eBay for 770€ lately. The machine was 3 years old and that's 1000-1100$...

10. dcains macrumors regular

Scam - same ad, word for word on the local Tampa craigslist yesterday - seen it several times before.

11. thewireman thread starter macrumors regular

thewireman

Okay this is a second person who said this. Its 100% scam :mad:. Thank you for all your time telling me this. Power to Mac users! Sorry I've always wanted to say that. I'm goin to go now.

12. thewireman thread starter macrumors regular

thewireman

Hey guys, its me again, I wanted to show you this, and I thought it was funny. This seller, whos name is "Amy" responded me back on the e-mail and this is what she said-

"Hello,

The laptop is still available and I hope you are still interested. My name is Amy and I am now in Manchester, U.K.
    This machine is 10 Months old and it has been used for professional needs, it is in great condition and runs perfectly, and beyond evidence of normal use the laptop is in perfect shape. Other than a small area of light scratches on the underside and the normal finger stains that can be removed with a damp rag, this MacBook is MINT!!!
    The AppleCare warranty is good until November 19th, 2008 and it is fully transferable.
    One more thing, the laptop is an US version and it works on US voltage so you do not need a converter.
    I have attached some pics with the laptop to this e-mail so you can see the condition of the laptop.
    Please get back to me and let me know if you like the laptop if you're really interested in buying it.

Thanks,
    Amy"

Now first of all, if this laptop is only 10 months old, and has Applecare, which is three years of service and shes saying the the Applecare warranty is good until November 19th, 2008.......:confused::confused:

Well Amy, Nice try.:rolleyes:

13. jojo13 macrumors 6502

jojo13

lol total scam:)

14. mdgolom macrumors 6502

I took a look at Craigslist for Baltimore and sure enough the same ad for the $400 Black MB is there.

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. CL is kind of sketchy as a place to buy stuff. I'd trust the MR Marketplace a lot more.

16. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

Craigslist can be perfectly legitimate, you just have to be smart about it. I sold my old Dell laptop on there and have bought and sold several other lower priced items and never had any problems. Just know what things are worth, meet in public and with a friend, etc.

17. EchoElite macrumors newbie

Yeah, Thats good that you didnt fall for that scam, i fell for a scam once...
    i was gonna buy the new macpro on craigslist, i bought it, and he sent me nothing....
    Oh well, they arrested the guy and gave me my 1000$ back. believe this, he lived in my neighberhod!!!

18. thewireman thread starter macrumors regular

thewireman

She would not stop sending me messages! This time it went to my spam mail folder :confused:. Anyways heres what she said this time..

"Hello

The laptop will come with everything in the pics, case, mouse, disks.
    I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the laptop within 3-4 days.
    Obviously we need a safe way to complete this deal that will allow us to make sure we receive what we are after.
    I have found a way for us to complete the deal safely and fast, and in this way you will receive the laptop in less than 3 days, if you move fast as well. The solution is provided by a worldwide delivery company DHL, and they will provide assistance in hadling the payment and delivery of the laptop.
    With this procedure you will have the change to test the laptop before I receive my payment.
    The procedure is explained on the DHL webpage and please click on the link below to the DHL website to see how we can complete the deal safely and fast directly from the website of the company.
    http://www.dhl.co.uk/publish/gb/en/services/log_services/air.high.html
    Let me know

Amy"

oh please........*sigh*

19. thewireman thread starter macrumors regular

thewireman

Nice.....teach that mofo.

20. chefhow macrumors newbie

I got the same email when I sent her an email inquiring about it since the original listing had the computer in my town.

21. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

Just checked Craigslist in Rhode Island and there it is, same black macbook for $400 dollars, word for word. I hate people.:mad:

22. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

euw finger stains! Love how she's putting too much information in, and catching herself out. The applecare, for example, or the fact that any sane person would just remove the stains if it was that easy.

god, scammers are stupid.

23. thewireman thread starter macrumors regular

thewireman

Indeed......and a waste of time....:mad: