Blackbook goes beserk on flash

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Styxie, Jul 16, 2009.

1. Styxie macrumors member

Dear forumers,

I've recently bought a secondhand 2.2 GHz Blackbook, and I'm loving it. However, I like to play this game on Facebook called Farmville, which is kinda like your average flash game (really simple, yet insanely fun to play). Anyway, when I start playing the game, all is well (CPU temp is 40 or 50 degrees C, fans spin at 1800 RPM). But when I'm 5 minutes into the game, all hell breaks lose, and the CPU temp will rise to 80+ degrees, and the fans blast away at 6000+ RPM.
    When I noticed this I hastely closed the flash tab on Firefox, and after a minute the temps and fans were down to the normal values.
    So my question is this, why does my Blackbook go beserk when it's using flash? I mean, it's not that CPU intensive, right? Could it perhaps be that the fans are dirty or broken, should I let Apple take a look at it?

2. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

It is very CPU intensive. Flash just sucks on OSX. You can try to control your temperature with CoolBook but I dont know any way of actually making Flash better.

3. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Yeah, the only possible move that I can think of is to complain to Adobe about their terrible implementation of flash on OS X.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

5. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Its the same thing on my Whitebook. When I watch anything that deals with flash, within minutes the fans are flaring at 6200RPM, makes it hard to hear music thats bundled with the fans going.

My minis been silent, so I'm going to refer to that to watch flash on.

6. xanatos macrumors regular

mine used to be totally fine watching flash videos but since mid way thru 10.5 the fans go out of control.now its even worse that im on snow leopard everything is just plain slow. Im on a 2007 black macbook. maybe i need to upgrade more ram?

7. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Well, this isn't a solution, but it's a very good workaround for the moment.

http://rentzsch.github.com/clicktoflash/

Click To Flash lets you block all flash content, then you can selectively load any particular flash media item by clicking on the flash placeholder icon sitting in the webpage, you can whitelist sites so that their flash content is never blocked, and you can make youtube automatically play in the MUCH better h.264 format video instead of flash video.