Blackbook -> High end MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by solaris7, Mar 1, 2011.

1. solaris7 macrumors regular

After following the forums for the past 2 days I have been tempted to upgrade my "super slow" black macbook for the beast that is the high end MBP.
    The thing is, I want to know if switching is going to be a painful process or if it is a good time to sell my blackbook.
    My blackbook is still under apple care through august, would selling it before that date fetch a significantly higher price than after?
    I am thinking about getting the 128GB SSD, how do you guys manage with that little storage? Sometimes I have difficulty with the 250GB I currently have.
    I am thinking of playing games like CS:S, TF2 and maybe Black Ops, will they play well on High settings?
    Has the weight or size been a problem? I kind of like the compactness of my blackbook.

~Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

What high end MBP are you talking about? The 13" or 15"/17" ones, as they have different CPUs?

You could always look into OptiBay (www.mecetech.com) to use an HDD for storage and use the SSD for OS and applications.
    I fare fine with my 17" MBP and only 60GB SSD, as I have multiple external 2.5" HDDs, which store all the data I need and they are not really that much to carry around with.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Probably not much difference in when you sell your black Macbook. Applecare helps, but you have to transfer it properly, which is more than most people do.

As a guesstimate, if you have the box, restore discs, etc., you could get $600 or so for yours.

If you get one, take a hard look at the base 13" vs. the high end 15". I have the base 13" and love it, but the 15" is seductive--all the more so since I don't mind the extra 1.1 lbs or whatever it is. I think the base 13" is a phenomenal value; the high end 15" is simply . . . unreal.

4. sk3tch macrumors regular

If this is going to be your only computer, 128GB is probably not going to be enough for you - unless you're OK with uninstalling/reinstalling games (as most take like 5-10GB these days) as you rotate through playing them. I would go for the 500GB 7200RPM hard drive. You can always upgrade to a better third-party SSD later for very little money and sell your 500GB 7200RPM hard drive or buy a nice little enclosure for it for around $20 and continue to use it for your files.

I have network-attached storage (NAS) so 128GB will be just fine for me. I plan on allocating ~40GB to Win7 (gaming) and the rest to Mac OS X (every day use). My media files, etc. will stay on the NAS (which can be accessed over the Internet should I not be home).

Think long and hard about your graphics needs because that's really what you are paying for as you move to the high-end 15" MBP. If you won't be playing many high-end games, the i5 13" is probably the steal of the year. :)

5. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

Unless you need the form factor I would recommend any 15 mbp for your uses.