Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Hey everyone,

I have been debating between a MB 2.2ghz or MB (black) 2.2ghz. I hate the idea of paying extra for color but here is my thoughts.

It seems the MB(black) has a higher resale, bigger hd, and does a better job of looking warn out as opposed to the white ones. Is this true?

For those of you who purchased a black book would you recommend it?

Suggestions, comments, and ideas appreciated.

Scott

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
It does have a higher resale value, but I don't know if it off-sets the premium.

The hard drive can always be upgraded on the white model.

Some people think it's better at keeping dirt off but looks more "oily."

I would just get whichever color you prefer. Resale value, price different and specs are so close between them that it's not worth agonizing over.

I prefer the black, for what it's worth.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Resale value is meaningless, as it's more than offset by the higher initial purchase price. As Unspeaked said, get the color you prefer, and remember you're paying $125 extra for the paint job. Each color has its upsides and downsides in terms of what it shows, dirt-wise. I got the white because I didn't see sense in paying more for black.

MarlboroLite

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
the 13 colonies
Well I got the black simply because I like the color better....yeah there's probably a higher resale value with it, but won't even come close to offsetting it.

It boils down to what you prefer. I decided to pay up because I figured I'm going to be staring at the computer everyday for the next 3+ years, I'd rather feel good about it :)

It does get oily and smudgy...but I don't think it's that bad...I can so far easily wipe it off. Black also looks more professional.

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Ditto. And never buy anything based on resale value - buy for the value to you at the time.
Very good points. Yeah I was looking at that refurbed blackbook based on the high reviews mac had for their refurbs.

I guess I was trying to rationalize the black, through a higher resale because i tend to like it more.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY
Very good points. Yeah I was looking at that refurbed blackbook based on the high reviews mac had for their refurbs.

I guess I was trying to rationalize the black, through a higher resale because i tend to like it more.

Thanks everyone for your help!

My daughter is currently awaiting the arrival of her refurbed Blackbook. She waffled, too, but I told her to get the black, because that's what she really wanted. A few more bucks are worth having what you want over what you're willing to settle for.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.