Blackbook meets ssd and 2nd hdd

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iJimmy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. iJimmy macrumors regular

iJimmy

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Preview for what's in store
    [​IMG]
    the slim atapi to sata converter that i took from the newmodeus caddy. this is a 12.7mm enclosure, we need a 9.5mm.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    2nd hdd in place and connected.
    I used some rubber pieces so the hdd wouldn't move around. 2 on the bottom and 1 on the top (above the 500gb print)
    [​IMG]
    here's the LED
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    i see you
    [​IMG]
    Attached are my xbenches

Does anyone know where I can get an external enclosure for my 9.5mm superdrive?

Attached Files:

2. acurafan macrumors 6502a

nice mod.

oh very cool! me likes.

actually i am thinking of modding my whitebook with something similar, and using an external usb cd/dvd burner.

3. idyll macrumors 6502

4. iJimmy thread starter macrumors regular

iJimmy

If you guys are interested, I uploaded a boot time video on youtube. You can compare the specs to my hitachi travelstar (also on youtube)

this drive sure does fly!

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

I'm looking at using the Optibay solution for my white MacBook and putting 2 500GB hard drives in it so I don't have to carry around an external and I don't use the ODD anyway (it's just a combo drive). Is there a reason you didn't use the Optibay solution for the MacBook besides cost?

Also my understanding is that removing the internal ODD from the MacBook will disable use of the DVD player, can you confirm this?

Right now I'm working on setting my MB up as a HTPC, using Remote Buddy and DVDpedia to play copies of dvds, does anyone know if DVD player was disabled due to removal of the internal ODD would DVDpedia automatically use VLC player as the default player or is there something I would have to change in settings?