BlackBook: Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter not "snapping" into place?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ThomasJL, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

On my white MacBook 2.2, when I plug the Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter into the mini-DVI port, it snaps into place perfectly. You can hear an audible snap (a click), and it is snug. The fit is perfect.

I purchased a new BlackBook 2.4, and when I plugged the Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter, it never snapped into place. There was no audible snap, and it could be easily pulled out without much resistance. I returned the BlackBook and requested a new one, which is on the way.

To any BlackBook users reading this who also happen to use the Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter: Does the adapter snap into place when you plug it into the mini-DVI port on your BlackBook? Do you hear an audible snap (a click)? (Please specify if you are using a BlackBook 2.4 or another BlackBook.)

Thank you to everyone who replies! :)

2. macnvrbck macrumors regular

YES! This is one of many things on my list for a Genuis Bar appointment.

My Powerbook has a CLICK when snapping on the mini-dvi connection. NO such snap on the Blackbook. The connection can easily fall out. I noticed this immediatly when I moved from my 12 inch powerbook to my Blackbook.

What do you think the problem is?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Interesting considering my 12" PB does not click.

4. actorkid macrumors 6502

i have a penryn blackbook, and ive never had a snap...its my first mac though so i didn't know there was supposed to be a click. I figured it was just normal. I'm guessing it may be all blackbooks for some reason...if not, maybe ill take my baby to the genius bar soon.

5. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Any other BlackBook owners here who use the the Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter? Please share your experiences.

Thank you to everyone who replied so far.

I think the problem is Apple's poor quality control. Don't listen to any one who tells you to "get over it" or shames you for complaining about it. Apple's products are expensive, so you deserve a perfect product for the high prices you pay.

Since there is no snapping into place, I fear the connection could get looser over time, and that could have bad consequences for my laptop and/or external display.

BlackBook owners, please share you experiences in this thread! :)

6. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I doubt it would get worse over time, maybe you should take it to the Genius Bar and see if it is normal? Does it stay in while using an external display?

7. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I have a 2.2 SR Blackbook from January 2008. I use a DVI to VGA. I have a small click right before the plug is flush with the side of the machine.

It still seems that it is loose and could come out easily.

8. molala macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the thread. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known that my mini-DVI to DVI adapter is a little loose on the blackbook (early 08). I think it would still work though and based on everyone else's experience, is probably normal.

In contrast, on my 12 inch Powerbook, the adapter is tighter, it doesn't snap but the friction makes a continuous crunching sound as I attach it to the port.

9. macnvrbck macrumors regular

I'm back home in front my my monitor and Blackbook.

I get a snapping alright... after inserting the mini dvi connector into the MacBook and leave the cord go, thus having some weight on the connector, I heard a snap towards the top part of the connection.... NOT good.

Exact iCurve, exact position, exact cable with my powerbook... this didn't happen. I had a solid CLICK into the machine and it was a solid tight connection.

Anyone see the 2-3mm gap between the top of the connector and the Macbook? There is definitely a problem here!

This WAS on my list before I saw this thread.

10. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

I wonder how common this defect is on BlackBooks? Were most of them like this, or were only a relatively small amount like this?

I will not hesitate to keep sending every new BlackBook back until I get one that does not have this problem.

11. macnvrbck macrumors regular

Took it to the Genius Bar today.

Apple is going to replace the logic board.

They have ordered it and will do a in-store swap.

12. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm waiting for my new BlackBook to arrive. I'll let you guys know whether or not it has the same problem described in the OP.

13. bwb macrumors member

Mini-DVI connectors are suppose to snap??!? Add another issue with my white macbook...

14. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, they are supposed to click into place. You should be able to hear an audible click.

15. macnvrbck macrumors regular

And they shouldn't just easliy fall out with little tension. The Genius tested the mini dvi connector on a floor MacBook and it did snap.. mine did not.

16. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Replacement arrived: Same issue + more defects!

Apple's quality control is horrible.

My replacement BlackBook, which arrived yesterday, has the exact same problems as described in the OP. In addition, the trackpad button is defective. Also, the battery is not even close to being flush with the case.

I'm not one of those guys who'll listen when a fanboy tells me to just "deal with it." If I'm spending a high amount of money for a computer (which would cost between 1/4 to 1/3 less for PC laptop with similar specs), then I expect it to be perfect.

Often times, small defects grow into large ones. For example, the defect in the OP could end up damaging the video card or monitor if the connection gets looser over time and the contact is not snug and secure.

17. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I could be called a "fan Boy" but I agree it should be right when you take a new Mac out of the box. My BlackBook C2D does noy have an audible snap when I plug the DVI adapter in, but it does have a slight tactile feel of a snap. I am hard of hearing, so it may have an audible snap that is too soft for my hearing range. My trusty 12" PB was the same. tactile but no audible snap. The PB performed flawlessly for 4.5 years and the BlackBook has been right in there with it. No problems. I read posts from people who swear Apple's QC has gone to hell, but I have bought four in the last two years - 3 MacBooks and a MacBook Pro - and all have been spot on out of the box, no problems. I think Apple might want to increase the sample size for QC testing in each manufacturing. It appears a few more clinkers than usual are getting by the inspectors. Oh, by the way, never count on a floor model being perfect at the Apple store. Those poor puppies take a beating from the customers. I am friends with the manager at the store here, and she has shown me some horror stories from the demos. I would not want one after all the man handling they take.

18. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

"Tactile snap" is a perfect description of a properly-working Mini-DVI port. The audible snap exists, but it is very quiet. The tactile snap is more significant than the simultaneously occurring audible nature of it.

19. bstreiff macrumors regular

My blackbook snaps. Interesting. I hadn't noticed that before. I just remember the VGA adapter fitting in snugly-- though to be fair, I haven't used it in a while.

20. macnvrbck macrumors regular

So what are you going to do about the dvi connector now? Send it back again??? I'm getting mine back this afternoon, let's see if it snaps.

Also... while in for th logic board/dvi connector I also had it in for the trackpad. The button rubbed against the outer casing and didn't click right.. so they were replacing that as well. Sorry to pile on! lol

21. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

+1. 5 years in, and it never clicked. Probably fell out a couple times in the whole time I had, but it has never been a problem.

22. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes! For the ridiculously high prices of Apple products, nothing less than perfect is acceptable. Why should I pay the same price as someone else who received the same product in perfect condition?

Accepting defects and not returning defective products serves to reward Apple for intentionally cutting quality control.

23. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just received my third BlackBook 2.4. Same issue. :mad:

24. macnvrbck macrumors regular

I got mine back, it doesn't click... I give....

25. ThomasJL thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering what I should do. I'm losing a lot of time that could be spent in productivity. At the same time, I don't want to be stuck with a product that will likely get progressively worse, or cause damage to my external display or video card. For the premium prices that Apple charges for their products, I believe I deserve a product with no defects.

This is my third BlackBook 2.4 with the exact same problem. If I did an exchange for the same model yet again, it wouldn't surprise me if the next one I receive has the same problem! Any suggestions on what to do?