Blackbook on Amazon

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jzumot, May 19, 2007.

1. Jzumot macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy the Blackbook on Amazon because even though it doesn't allow me to use my education discount I still get a $100 rebate but more importantly my first question is: would I be correct in asserting that I get to dodge my states sales tax (5%)?

My second question is the specs list it as "1 GB (two SO-DIMM) 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM" Dos this mean this if I want to upgrade it to 2 gigs I will have to replace both memory sticks with 1 gb cards??

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I'm not sure about the sales tax thing, and are you sure that the $100 rebate is more than the edu. discount?

About the RAM... Yes, you'll have to replace both 512MB sticks with 1GB sticks to have 2GB of RAM. This might be another reason to just order from Apple...

3. ElCambo macrumors regular

Although it is quite a bit cheaper to put in ur own ram than have apple do it

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

or you can just add a 2gb stick and leave the other 256 installed, if it's a C2D it will use it if it's a CD it won t even see it

5. Jzumot thread starter macrumors newbie

At the mac store with my ED it's $1399, at Amazon it comes to $1394.49. The initial price difference is negligible, but if I can avoid the sales tax because I am out of state then hopefully I can avoid the extra $70 in taxes

edit: Does the macbook support more than 2 gigs of ram?

6. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

well i was upgrading my 1.83 core duo macbook since the new updates come out to a c2d 2.0 macbook and i was going inbetween 999 for a refurb in apple store then i went on amazon you can get a NEW Macbook C2D 2.0 for 1074 shipped after rebate its 1149 before rebate but still i think paying just 75$ after rebate is a good deal for a new one.. what do you guys think?

7. chex macrumors regular

It takes a max of 3GB

whether or not you should use 3GB or 2GB in a matched pair depends on what you do with your computer.

3GB is 'better' for things like photoshop, but dual channel matched RAM is better for things like gaming/other video heavy apps.

8. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

If you send it in for repairs you will need to have Apple Ram installed so if you do upgrade keep your Apple Ram otherwise they will say you tampered with it.

9. Jzumot thread starter macrumors newbie

what if I want to just run parallels and have a generally faster machine

10. chex macrumors regular

If it were me, I would go for the 3GB

There's no such thing as Apple RAM, Apple use Samsung SODIMMs, and unless you physically damage the computer trying to get your RAM in there they won't say anything.

11. chex macrumors regular

no, thats not laptop RAM

go to www.crucial.com

they have a series of drop down menus that will pick out the best RAM for your computer.

The will only show you RAM up to 2GB kits, just note the type of RAM (DDR2 PC2-5300) and get one 1GB stick and one 2GB stick.

12. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

it is okay to change the RAM and hard drive yourself with macbooks, this will not void any warranty unles syou really phisically damage something, i dont see hoe you would do that but i guess it could happen...oh and only C2D can adress the 3gb not the CD ones...

13. itsallinurhead macrumors 6502

itsallinurhead

Where do you see the 2GB stick on Crucials' site? I can't seem to locate it.

14. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

I purchased my Black MacBook from Amazon.

I got the $100 rebate, I was not charged sales tax and my MacBook came with two Micron 512 MB DIMMs which I replaced with two 1 GB DIMMs from OWC which they now have for $99.

15. chex macrumors regular

16. Since '76 macrumors member

Amazon will not collect the tax, but you are still legally required to pay it when you file your state tax forms at the end of the year as an 'Use Tax'.

17. redrdstr macrumors newbie

You got yours already? I ordered mine last week from Amazon as well. My ship date is next wednesday. :mad:

18. Jzumot thread starter macrumors newbie