blackbook or a low end MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wondering, Jul 1, 2008.

1. wondering macrumors newbie

hey, im just wondering whether i should get the high end black macbook or the low end macbook pro?

ill be getting into a university to pursue a degree in mechanical engineering soon, do you think the black macbook will be sufficient for running applications related 2 that field? (CAD,CAM, etc)

portability would be an issue to me since ill be carrying the laptop around for classes, so is there much noticable difference in weight and dimensions between both laptops?

entertainment is also quite a concern, is the macbook sufficient for running most new games such as call of duty 4 at low resolution? and does the 256mb and 512mb graphics card make much of a difference for macbook pro?
    and lastly, how about the aesthetics? how many of u prefer the blackbook over the macbook pro and vice versa?

sorry for the long post, but i hope to get answers for most of my questions, and i hope to hear feedback from present owners of either macs, and tell me, will both last me for at least 3 years..?

2. tsvb macrumors 6502

I have the 2.2GHz MBP and love it. I have previously had a white MB.

The macbook is only a pound or so lighter but it's much more portable. Though if you are looking to play games like COD4 I would go with the MBP. Mine plays games in bootcamp just fine.

3. Guilfox macrumors member

No doubt in my mind.................

Go for the MacBook Pro.

I have a 2.2 SR MBP and I don't use any sort of CAD application so I can only guess the advantages of the discreet graphics card higher resolution screen will be a real enabler when designing.

In terms of portability though I can say that the 15.4 MBP is absolutely fine. I travel an hour to work on public transport and back again and have no issues with the bigger heavier device. I switched from a IBM X31 and the performance improvement is worth the extra weight which when you include power adapters and other junk you lug around with you is negligible in my mind anyway.

I got this cheap bag from Targus.........
    http://www.targus.com/UK/product_details.asp?sku=TCB005EU

Perfect companions in my mind. Although I'm an old fart and you may want something a bit cooler on a college campus! :rolleyes:

Style wise I would go for anodized aluminum any day of the week, although I must draw you attention to my last comment regarding my age!!!!

4. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Chalk up another vote for MBP. Besides the power and use of your applications, you asked about size. I was in the same situation as you, and went with the MBP and could not be happier. On paper the MBP is slightly heavier and is larger, but it is deceiving. If you look at the footprint of both computers they are quite similar because there are much larger gaps between the end of the screen and end of the computer on the MB and MBP. That means that although the screen size says 2'' difference, when you stack on top of another there is a not very noticeable difference in overall size of the computers. I have no problem carrying my 15'' around, and that extra power and long run durability will be beneficial a few years down the road in college.

5. MPHL macrumors regular

MPHL

You can never go wrong with a MacBook Pro imo so I think either wold be a solid choice. A lot of times in these scenario's where there's no editing for hadcore things like that involved it's basically if you can afford the MBP then you should get it.

6. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

You will more than likely need the extra horsepower from the dedicated graphics that the MacBook Pro will offer.

The x3100 integrated graphics in the MB, which a decent choice for many people, will probably choke while doing any 3d modeling with CAD or other programs. Not to mention it shares your RAM...

7. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Get a refurb MBP for about the same $$ as a 'new' blackbook. Vastly superior display, graphics and overall design.

8. HandleVandal Guest

HandleVandal

For your needs, I would definitely pony up the extra money for a MBP. It's better to have too much than not enough. When I first bought my iBook a few years ago, I wasn't doing any video editing and very little photo editing. A couple years later I found myself up to my ears in video/photo editing and wishing I had just gone for the G4 Powerbook instead as I had sort of "outgrown" my iBook.

(don't get me wrong, my iBook runs Gimp and iMovie fine, but a G4 PB could've been much better...d'oh!)

Though it costs more, you'll get more bang for your buck, it'll last you a few more years before you outgrow it and still have the portability you want.

One vote for MBP, all the way.

9. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I'll sell you my pbg4 1.5 2gb ram superdrive and 128 video for $650 :p

10. ManWithhat macrumors regular

You should wait for the Montevina update (not a huge deal, but an improved FSB and lower power consumption CPU = better battery life and cooler temps). Get a low end MBP.

11. mox123 macrumors 6502

+1 for a low-end MBP for all the good reasons stated above :apple:

12. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I'm in a similar choice situation & for one I wouldn't get the blackbook , I'd just buy a faster/bigger HD & stick it in the midrange white MB , that way you get a machine with a HD the same size as the blackbook (& faster) saving a good few dollars .

also this makes total sense regarding the Montavina as it's not long now !! if the MB stays glossy Im going MBP for sure

13. johnsy macrumors 6502

Surprisingly Macbook weights more than MBP. I tried to weight them in Apple store. Macbook is just more denser, and a little bit smaller, so you feel the weight. MBP on other hand feels lighter, because it is less dense. I place emphasis on FEELS. On paper it is otherwise. Besides your experience can be different with upgrades- bigger hard drives and bigger in GB memory will add some more weight (a few grams, don't worry). MB has smaller charger than MBP.

14. elmz macrumors regular

From what you just said your will want to go with a MBP.

P.S. You can run COD4 at high graphic settings =)

15. HandleVandal Guest

HandleVandal

If I wasn't scrimping and saving for a new MBP or iMac sometime this year, I would seriously take you up on that ;)

16. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have a 2.4 macbook pro and a 2.16 MacBook. To me the screen is the biggest difference both size and quality in favor of the Pro

17. dcx3 macrumors member

im not familiar with gaming, but my advice for the rest..

If you dont want to spend extra for MBP then get the macbook, it comes pretty close to the same as MBP. If you don't like the glossy screen, then get the mbp. depends on your needs I guess.

I am in the same boat..sorta..i want to upgrade to a new laptop, but I dont like the glossy screen of MB and I dont really see spending the extra money on a low end MBP if i can get a high end MB...ahh the issues i have. Oh and knowing that soon the rumored new notebooks will come out...id hate to buy a 15 mbp just to find a non-glossy 15 mb is on the horizon etc..

good luck with your choice, either way you'll probably be happy with either machine