Blackbook or Al. Macbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sansa11, Oct 31, 2008.

1. sansa11 macrumors member

After I ordered my new Blackbook, my parents were convinced that Apple was their next choice for a computer. They don't do much just the usual internet, e-mail, and my dad makes videos on iLife, but that's it. I recommended the Blackbook because they want something portable but my mom wants the new Al. Macbook because "it looks nice". My dad knows more about computers than she does and wants the Blackbook. What do you guys recommend for them? I recommended the Blackbook because it's the same as the one I ordered.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If your dad using FireWire to transfer video from a video camera to iLife, then you should get a BlackBook since it has FireWire. The aluminum MacBook does not have FireWire.

Other than that, I would recommend the aluminum MacBook since it has better video graphics and the upgradable hard drive would make a better investment in the long run. Also, for portability since its thinner and lighter than a BlackBook.

3. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

negligible.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You do realize the Blackbook comes with a 250GB harddrive like the new 2.4 alu Macbooks(I think the new 2.0 has a 160GB one) and a 5 y.o. can upgrade that if they want. No difference there.

If your dad has to use Firewire which many people do or at least many I know, then the new one isn't a viable option unless you buy new video/camera.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I would only get the Blackbook if your dad has a firewire compatible video camera.

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

In your opinion. To me, it makes a difference.

Thanks for the heads up. I actually did not realize the BlackBook hard drive was user upgradable.

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

1/2 pound difference. For me that isn't a big difference at all either considering I lug around over 30 pounds on my back everyday for school. 1/2 pound is nothing.

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Not just the Blackbook, but the Whitebook also. The RAM and HD are extremely simple to replace and even a person who knows nothing about computers can do it with ease.

9. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Yeah, I looked up the instructions. Good to know, my girlfriend just ordered a WhiteBook.

10. sansa11 thread starter macrumors member

He doesn't use firewire, we use the dvd recorder to transfer to a dvd then import into iMovie. Although he does complain about the price of the new (lower end) Al. Macbook because he was going to get the Blackbook originally and a day later these new Macbook arrived. So now he likes the cheaper price of the Blackbook, but prefers the new look of the Al. Macbook. Especially the glass touchpad.